What's new
What's new

Select Machine Tool 12x24 lathe missing tailstock

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophijo

Aluminum
I'm looking at this Taiwan made lathe missing the tailstock. What do you think? Would I be able to find a tailstock to fit this lathe?

Realistically you will have a better chance of wining the lottery ! Those Taiwan and China made lathes had many detail differences depending on which factory AND time frame when made even from the same factory.Pass!

In fact ,the hobby machine forums identify machines for owners all the time,and that is where you should be asking......it quite likely your machine has already been identified by some other enquirer.

If you did find one i will be a fraction too high or low and will have to be fitted to your exact machine. This is true even if they are consecutive serial numbers from a quality maker..
Bill D.

little chance of finding the one you need ..then it wont be right on..

You cam make a tail base true to your bed and with that fitting a tail from ebay you should be up and running in short order... with a vise at the cross slide your head stock running and with an end mill installed it should not be impossible to make a tail. Yes you may need to trace the needed shape on the end of the intended piece and cut it in by steps with not having an angle end mill. I think such a base spacer made of hard wood would be fine/OK.

Having access to a surface grinder you could make a base of steel or cast iron right to exact size in a few hours..

QT: [looking at..should be for a low price with not having a tail.]Perhaps 300 or 600 lower than a complete machine because an odd tail likely to cost $150 or more bucks...and at least $200 worth of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back