What's new
What's new

Respected cat40 tooling brands

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
What cat40 tooling do you use brand wise and what would would you get today if just starting off with a new,let’s say HAAS VF3ssyt and it was your first machine?

I’m new to cnc but not to machining so I know nothing of 12 to 15k spindles speeds. I know that the holders need to be balance rated for the at least the rpm But I will probably go with a higher rated holder. Is that overkill or smart? Also I would imagine face mills/shell mills have a balance rating as well,I actually have never researched that one but will.

So like I said above,if you were starting out today with your first cat40 12 to 15k spindle what brand and size tooling would you buy to get started? And if you know of any decent packages let me know where to find them? Thanks

most of us use mari tool, made in usa, the owner is here often on PM so the customer service is great and most of all the prices and quality and service make for what I feel to be the best overall value available.

Mari-Tool without question.
If I need something asap and they don't have it then I'd probably pay the premium and get something from our Sandvik rep.

Another Maritool user
Create an account on their website, the cart doesn't expire which is a nice feature

Command Tool is one that I have been using for years. A litte more expensive than Maritool, but also USA made.

Wow, thank you guys. Im very lucky to have a great group of guys that care about what they do.

Shawn_Laughlin,

When it comes to balance you can't go overkill. A properly balanced tool holder will give you better tool life, part finishes, and spindle bearing life. All of our tool holders including shell mill holders are balanced to G2.5 @20,000 rpms. We also offer a service where we can assemble your indexable shell mill to our shell mill tool holder and balance it as a complete unit. It only makes sense since most of the time an indexable face mill will remain with the tool holder for its entire life. Plus since it is a heavy rotating mass its balance is very critical.

We have a lot of Parlec holders, and used to love them until some started to stick inside of HAAS spindles, especially after heavy roughing cut.
Just ordered a Maritool holder and a couple of their pull studs to try.

Back