What's new
What's new

semi truck frame rail material

idacal

Hot Rolled
Im getting ready to rerail a cab and chassis truck with a heavier double rail because of rust, and various issues like frame jacking. I'm going to be putting a drill rig on it so serious weight and use. Im looking at someone closer than eastern us to supply the rails. of course they want me to give what material I want. Im seeing some trucks like volvos are using a t1 a514 steel and a shop in portland was offering a domex 100 or t1 Im trying figure out what would be the best route to go. by the specs I can't tell if the t1 would be more prone to cracking or the domex any advice? t1 is substantially cheaper because I don't have to buy the drops. but I only want to do this once

IMO, if T1 of a given thickness won't do the job, you need thicker, not stronger, steel.

A514 doesn't lend itself well to bending or forming. Are you considering fabricating this from welded sections of flat plate?

If the company that is providing the rails is experienced at all, they should be giving you guidance. Certainly better guidance than I could give.

they said they could do the t1 no problem so i ordered 2 30' 3/8" rails with full length inserts. I hope they know what they are doing will find out when I pick them up. the price was just over 1/2 the domex

Back