What's new
What's new

Morse taper 4.5

rush2015

Plastic
I purchased a clausing 5914 metal lathe and am looking for a morse taper 4.5 for the head stock to use a mt 3 center. I purchased one from grizzly that has exreme run out and have read reviews from other buyers that have experienced the same issue. In short any recommendations where to purchase a good quality mt 4.5 would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure the runout isn’t the lathe, spindle bore could have a burr or in need of a little clean up.

I cleaned it and steel wooled it also when I indicate the spindle i don’t get run out. It could have something I’ll do a double check for anything that may be obstructing the sleeve that perhaps may not be picked up by indicating it. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Sometimes the internal taper can get nicked, dinged, maybe a stubborn chip embeded, etc. After you check again insert the sleeve lightly and turn it, sometimes you can feel such an imperfection. Indicate at several locations in the taper depth. With the sleeve installed indicate the sleeve internal taper the same. It is entirely possible to have recieved a bad sleeve. Poor concentricity of low cost spindle tooling including collets is common.

If a supplier publishes tolerances of the tooling they are selling you have a much better chance of getting good stuff. If nothing else you have something to fall back on.

Try these folks:

Home

JFK Precision.

I have one of their collet adaptors and its very nicely made. You may have to call and ask for the adaptor you want.

The Grizzly 4.5MT sleeve does not fit the 5914 spindle taper correctly, in my experience.
Try bluing it and you will see it only contacts at the very front.
I ended up mounting mine to a 3MT test bar and recut the taper to match.
After all that, I typically use a home made center made from 4140PH mounted in the chuck and touched up before use, its always exact.

Back