What's new
What's new

Serrated Strap Clamp "blanks"

e30ryan

Aluminum
Hey all,

I haven't been able to find them online, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for serrate strap clamps that do NOT have a slot milled into them. I.e. these, but without the slot Serrated End Clamps On TE-CO

I find the off-the-shelf slots too large for my smaller fasteners (5/16") and I'd also like to CBore them for additional clearance.

Cheers

Why not make your own? Milling a small slot is by far the "most difficult" part of making them. I would use 4140 or maybe even prehard. I spend as much time making tooling as I do working on actual jobs but I figure by time I'm 70 I should have all the tooling I need :D

Hey all,

I haven't been able to find them online, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for serrate strap clamps that do NOT have a slot milled into them. I.e. these, but without the slot Serrated End Clamps On TE-CO

I find the off-the-shelf slots too large for my smaller fasteners (5/16") and I'd also like to CBore them for additional clearance.

Cheers

Make or buy some shoulder washers. I've used 1/4-20 and even 10-32 fasteners that way with 3/8" slot strap clamps borrowed from my drill press. I have some woodworking fixtures with T-slot tracks and occasionally I need the step clamps to clamp odd size things to them. Standard fasteners for the universal T-tracks are 5/16-18, 1/4-20, and 10-32. I've used all of them with the strap clamps and homemade shoulder washers.

Why not make your own? Milling a small slot is by far the "most difficult" part of making them.

Not at all. Milling a filler to fit, TiG welding it into stock ones, then sending them out for grinding is bound to be more work.

:D

Sending an RFQ off to Teco in Ohio for stock items UN-slotted might do. Wouldn't be surprised it wasn't a novel request, either.

That way, they'd be better assured to fit the REST of the set's step-serrations?

:)

...I figure by time I'm 70 I should have all the tooling I need :D

Nooooo.. already 75, here?

Best I can figure, it's actually a hundred and five. Even that presumes you've croaked by a hundred and three.

The other two years are for yer Estate to acquire rigging gear to MOVE all the "grave goods" you have accumulated.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

Usta bee. Now it's the most confusing tools.

The ones as keep showing up on PM asking what TF they are, who made them, what they are WORTH, etc.

Stashing a Whaler's flensing knife or an irrigation shovel in with the HSS tooling, a microwave feed horn in with the dust collector, Worthington steam "fire pump" with the coolant system goods, or the governor off a Swedish-built one-lung marine Diesel in with the relieving attachment for an 1843 Royal Slobovian Arsenal lathe nobody ever HEARD of is the sort of thing as earns extra points.

At least if a body has no kin, was already going to Hell, regardless...and wanted one last shot at the tax man's mental stability!

See "William The Miser". Of Acton. Estate was one-hundred and seventeen years in Chancery Court.

All that without tools, yet! All HE left was a surplus of fools!

Usta bee. Now it's the most confusing tools.

The ones as keep showing up on PM asking what TF they are, who made them, what they are WORTH, etc.

Stashing a Whaler's flensing knife or an irrigation shovel in with the HSS tooling, a microwave feed horn in with the dust collector, Worthington steam "fire pump" with the coolant system goods, or the governor off a Swedish-built one-lung marine Diesel in with the relieving attachment for an 1843 Royal Slobovian Arsenal lathe nobody ever HEARD of is the sort of thing as earns extra points.

At least if a body has no kin, was already going to Hell, regardless...and wanted one last shot at the tax man's mental stability!

See "William The Miser". Of Acton. Estate was one-hundred and seventeen years in Chancery Court.

All that without tools, yet! All HE left was a surplus of fools!

The lawsters got it all I believe.......

If we can amend "tools" to "junk", and "dies" to "isn't dead yet", then I win...

That's a very bold statement, If I don't have more junk than you I likely know someone who does :D I just pulled a DRO and scales out of the dumpster the other day and fixed the bad power supply. Now I need to get another machine to put it on

That's a very bold statement, If I don't have more junk than you I likely know someone who does :D I just pulled a DRO and scales out of the dumpster the other day and fixed the bad power supply. Now I need to get another machine to put it on

Ahead of you on THAT. My CFII knew I had ground-controlled One-Oh-Wonders, NYADS, NORAD. Gifted me with the Pilot's Operating Handbook..

Quattah century arredy, over HALF a century since last I directed one on a mission.

Still looking for a McDonnell Voodoo in flying condition to go with that damned POH!

Meanwhile .... yer side-tracked into the raw metals biz for a spell? Just pull up a sat view of the yards of "Moses B Glick".

Moses B Glick | Surplus Metals & Liquidation | Surplus

Sumthin' addictive to that biz?

Have a care!

Ahead of you on THAT. My CFII knew I had ground-controlled One-Oh-Wonders, NYADS, NORAD. Gifted me with the Pilot's Operating Handbook..

Quattah century arredy, over HALF a century since last I directed one on a mission.

Still looking for a McDonnell Voodoo in flying condition to go with that damned POH!

Meanwhile .... yer side-tracked into the raw metals biz for a spell? Just pull up a sat view of the yards of "Moses B Glick".

Moses B Glick | Surplus Metals & Liquidation | Surplus

Sumthin' addictive to that biz?

Have a care!

They used to be LB metals and were much better back then. They can be kinda high on some of their stuff and their alloy selection kinda sucks. Most of the employees do not speak English and beat the ever living crap out of things moving them. I have got some massive blocks of 7075 from them in the past though.

To the OP, if you are looking for more than just a couple I would be happy to quote some for you. Easy work while I'm doing "homework"

I had considered making some, but dealing with the stepped serrations is going to suck up a lot more time than I would like. If there was an off-the-shelf solution, it would be cheaper for me in the end to just buy them :)

I find the stepped clamps the perfect balance of adjustability and ease-of-use. I could use clamps with a threaded end where I could put a bolt for adjusting the height, but this isn't as quick and not as stable as the steps.

I like the idea of asking Teco directly if they sell without the slots. I'll examine that route!

Back