What's new
What's new

Servo 140 Power Feed Pilot Light - Lamp, Bulb, Light - Whatever It's Called

ptsmith

Cast Iron
I picked up a couple of used Servo 140 power feed units. The pilot light on one is very dim and needs replacing. Below is a photo of a replacement board. It's the bulb on the upper right hand corner. The glass on mine is red but a clear one would be fine. Anyone know what type of bulb this is?

circuit-board-ass-y-9.gif

Can you get your meter on it when it's energized? After that, all you'd need to do is find an LED that's the right size and voltage rating.

Thanks.

I'm not knowledgeable about electronics, but I do know a tiny bit.

The power feed uses 120V AC. I don't see anything that looks like a rectifier so I assume that the bulb is AC.

I googled small neon bulb and that does look like that's what it is. And they appear to be AC.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/neon-bulb/yrjms7pcbhmored

So I guess you answered my question. Thanks!

The neons would need around 100+v to light. Usually this would be AC. There is also a current-limiting resistor. The board is fairly simple. You could trace out the circuit and post the schematic. (Or maybe someone has one?).

If you can, check the voltage across the lamp under-power and you can rule out the use of a modern LED. If the voltage across the lamp is greater than 2-3v, or if it is AC, then is is a neon bulb. If you put an LED in, it will be destroyed and the magic smoke will escape.

-Jess

Ive got a box of them, but I am on my last day of vacation and dont know how much we charge for them. PM and I can let you know tomorrow.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

It is common for those neon bulbs to go dim over time. At some point they will flicker erratically. Sometimes, exposing them to light/dark will cause them to light steady, then go out or flicker when the opposite is done (can't remember if light makes them work, or dark). They are easily found, even at Ace Hardware, etc., last one I got there was under $1. Digikey's prices are mostly sub $1 too.

I found one and have already replaced it. A model NE-2E/A9A. Nice and bright now. Thanks for all the help!

PS: These neon lamps require a resistor. Everything I found suggested 100K. The servo circuit board has a 33K resistor. At least it does if I'm deciphering the color code correctly.

I found one and have already replaced it. A model NE-2E/A9A. Nice and bright now. Thanks for all the help!

PS: These neon lamps require a resistor. Everything I found suggested 100K. The servo circuit board has a 33K resistor. At least it does if I'm deciphering the color code correctly.

What are the colors?

4 band, one gold and three orange. I used this site to get the value: Internal Error

I just looked at a resistor color code chart. Maybe it was faded brown instead of orange?

Back