What's new
What's new

Setting up change wheels on metric Chinese lathen

Status
Not open for further replies.

samrodian

Plastic
A bit late but happy new year to all. Just joined forum this morning. I am a very amateur metalworker, and have been given a Chinese made Warco WMT 300 lathe mill combination machine and am looking to set it up for screwcutting. The leadscrew appears to be of 2.5 mm pitch( I counted ten threads and got 25 mm). Unfortunately the change wheel set up and banjo were taken off of the lathe prior to my acquisition, and I have no proper idea as how to go about setting it up. It has two spindles and three gears below the headstock spindle and Two on the lower spindle) I am not sure whether they are to be discounted in the set up of A,B,C,D,and E in the charts displayed on the inside of the cover. The lower of the two spindles is fixed so no variation of those two gears seems possible to me, but it has a longer spindle and another gear is able to be put on it. Does that constitute the "A" in the train? I have a full set of change wheels that came with the machine, from 2x27 up to 70 teeth. Any explanation and even pictures would be of enormous help! Thank you in advance. samrodian

Last edited:
New members need to read the rules.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

Is Warco still in business? They should be able to help. At any rate, a UK hobby machine probably has plenty of UK owners, so a web search may turn up leads to owners and pictures or videos that will help answer your questions.

Larry

Last edited:
I suggest you try this forum: The home of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop Magazines
It's friendly and knowledgeable and is more apt to have members familiar with the metric version of this machine. It's possible, to a rather limited extent, to ask questions related to these "hobby class" machines here but takes some creative writing to avoid actually identifying what you have.

And if in the course of your new endeavor you find yourself becoming interested in the history of machine tools (that happened to me), you'll particularly like the "Antique Machinery and History" sub-forum here.

David

Last edited:
A bit late but happy new year to all. Just joined forum this morning. I am a very amateur metalworker, and have been given a Chinese made Warco WMT 300 lathe mill combination machine and am looking to set it up for screwcutting. The leadscrew appears to be of 2.5 mm pitch( I counted ten threads and got 25 mm). Unfortunately the change wheel set up and banjo were taken off of the lathe prior to my acquisition, and I have no proper idea as how to go about setting it up. It has two spindles and three gears below the headstock spindle and Two on the lower spindle) I am not sure whether they are to be discounted in the set up of A,B,C,D,and E in the charts displayed on the inside of the cover. The lower of the two spindles is fixed so no variation of those two gears seems possible to me, but it has a longer spindle and another gear is able to be put on it. Does that constitute the "A" in the train? I have a full set of change wheels that came with the machine, from 2x27 up to 70 teeth. Any explanation and even pictures would be of enormous help! Thank you in advance. samrodian

no idea how it works with a warko
when i had my first very old lathe with an inch leadscrew, no diagram or drawing, i figured it out by taking the number of teeth on the gear on the spindle and the number of teeth on gear on the leadscrew.
once you know those numbers you can figure out what the ratio is between the two and what gears you will have to put in between to get the right pitch.
e.g
spindle 30 teeth, leadscrew 60 teeth, pitch leadscrew 2.5 mm, wanted pitch 1mm.
for every turn of the leadscrew you get 2.5 mm, you want 1mm so the leadscrew has to turn .4 full circle for every turn of the spindle.
that would make 24 teeth on the leadscrew gear.
spindle gear is 30 teeth, you want a ratio of the intermediate compounded gears that will give you 24 teeth on the leadscrew for every 30 teeth on the spindle. the ratio would be 4/5.
so any two gears that will have that ratio will work e.g. 48/60 , 60/75 etc.
the two gears will have to be compound gears, that means they are attached to each other and run on the same shaft.
find the approriate gears in the collection and you are done.
any other gear in the geartrain you might need to fill the distance between the gear on the spindle and the gear on the leadscrew can be any gear as it does not change the ratio only the direction of rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back