Setting up heat treating space, need advice.
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Setting up heat treating space, need advice.

So I've done a fair amount of heat treating and have done so in two different shops. That being said, I've only ever done it in a shared space with equipment that has already been set up a certain way and I did not feel the need to make enemies in trying to better set up or modify/change the equipment. So I was wondering a couple of things and hopefully some of you guys/gals might have some advice or suggestions as I am adding this capability to this shop and have the ability to set things up the way I want. I'm mainly going to be doing air quenched stuff so I wanted to know what kind of setup you're using for quenching. In the past I've seen some little benches low to the ground made up of angle iron and expanded metal to set the treated parts on top with a fan under or around to quench to ambient temp. I could easily fab something up like that here but wanted some more opinions. I've done oil quenching as well and have experience with a 55gal drum with oil, a basket, and a lid. And for small parts, a 5gal metal bucket.

I'm basically working within a 12ft x 8ft area and the furnace takes up about 2ft x 3ft x 5ft tall.

Any suggestions, insights, opinions, horror stories are welcome. Pics of your heat treating areas would be great too.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you working in a 8 x 12 area or a room. A room is gonna be ugly/smoky if you oil quench much. Ventilation. How many pounds of steel will you be oil quenching at a time? 25# of steel will take 50 Gal of oil to soak up the heat. 8 x 12 should be plenty of space. Put the furnace in a corner and the quench area along the 12 ft wall.

Ed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ed,

8x12 AREA, so have tons of ventilation and space to make a quick "exit" should something go awry. Nothing more than 10lbs I'd say for the oil quench. I have a Lucifer dual chamber furnace that's around 9"x12"x14" chamber size for both. I know my limits!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Better install a hood and big fan, your lungs will thanks you...Phil