Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaft advice for Yuasa end mill sharpener

Advice please: Picked up this Yuasa end mill sharpener cheap but missing the main shaft. Seems easy to make a shaft with bushings or a collet set-up. I'm planning on using some TGP pump shafting that has a coat of hard chrome. The shaft supports don't seem to have any rolling ball on the tip. Just machined to look like a ball and have a bit of flat spot wear. I'm thinking of remaking the supports with a better bearing material than steel. Perhaps a hard brass. I know how to use these units although I've not used this exact model. Basically I'm hoping to emulate an air bearing on a beer budget. This would be a handy addition to use with my surface grinder.yuasa.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its nice to emulate but in this case it will never come close to an air bearing.I have both types.As a matter of fact I have a brand new one like that that I've never used.
    They will work just no way as smoothe or sensitive as an air bearing.

3. Likes atomarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As they say "been there, done that", and as mentioned above..it didn't work worth a damn.

Stuart

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Main shaft end bores and holders have to be near perfect to be straight. Likely difficult to get them straight enough.
    I have a rig like that and find it is not very good for small end mills. Actually after trying it, it just went back in its box...
    Air bearing is best and a sensitive work head second best for doing end mill ODs.

The KoLee sensitive work head (and the lie ) work Ok with traveling the table.

Still not anywhere near as good as an air spindle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Main shaft end bores and holders have to be near perfect to be straight. Likely difficult to get them straight enough.
    I have a rig like that and find it is not very good for small end mills. Actually after trying it, it just went back in its box...
    Air bearing is best and a sensitive work head second best for doing end mill ODs.

The KoLee sensitive work head (and the lie ) work Ok with traveling the table.

Still not anywhere near as good as an air spindle.
    I picked up one cheap as well (Phase2 branded).

The shafts seem to be hardened, but not hard enough
    to avoid being lightly scratched by the supports when you use it.

Bigger shaft is 1.750" OD, smaller is 25mm OD on mine.

Support screws seem to have a hardened ball pressed into the tip?

Maybe consider something like Thomson Case60 linear shafting? That is, if the case
    isn't too deep and make it very hard to drill and ream for the endmill bushings. Specs
    say straight to .001" per foot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of those, complete. Bought it new old stock from a high school. Those tips are carbide on mine. I'm sure they are not as good as an air bearing Weldon, but it works fine for me. I'm a hobby machinist and sharpen my larger end mills (3/8" or so and bigger) on them and they turn out good enough for me. Never tried a smaller end mill because I have so many of them I don't need to sharpen any.

Ted