What's new
What's new

Share vine

klemchuk

Aluminum
Hi all
Does anyone have experience with stars rises, specifically their 4" double priced at $720? I need 4 so I'd like to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. Are they as good as Glacern or Kurt?
Thanks!

I'll 'fess up and say I bought a couple of their cheapo dual station vises quite a few years ago, the ones they have listed for $190 or thereabouts. The biggest issue with the cheap vises was that nothing was matched about them. Jaw dimensions, thickness of center block were all different. Makes setup a PITA.

The specs on the $790 vise looks to be a lot better, but if you are going to buy two or more, make sure to inspect them for 'sameness' as soon as you get them. Some Shars stuff is good, you just have to decide when you get it, if it is acceptable.

I'll 'fess up and say I bought a couple of their cheapo dual station vises quite a few years ago, the ones they have listed for $190 or thereabouts. The biggest issue with the cheap vises was that nothing was matched about them. Jaw dimensions, thickness of center block were all different. Makes setup a PITA.

The specs on the $790 vise looks to be a lot better, but if you are going to buy two or more, make sure to inspect them for 'sameness' as soon as you get them. Some Shars stuff is good, you just have to decide when you get it, if it is acceptable.

I was quite surprised to see them offering a 5 axis vice: shars.com - Vises(halfway down the page) maybe they aren't the same as they used to be but they seem to be charging almost as much as the big guys and that makes me nervous when it comes to things like support and warranty.

Back