What's new
What's new

Sharp mill feed problem

will built

Plastic
Hey There
I'm new here but have been reading this forum of years.
I recently had my mill rebuilt and upon installing it i was checking it out and this happen:

With the machine running I engaged the quill feed. The direction was in the upward position and the quill was
at the top of its travel. POP! Next thing i know the quill is jammed. I removed the clutch to free the quill but now the
feed direction selector does not stay spinning.

What Happened? or Should that not happen.

I would have to ship it far to get the work done.

Any advise would be great.

I'm assuming that system is the same as a BP ,and normally you can not engage the feed with the quill fully in the up position. That area in the few Sharp's I've ran looked same same as a BP. On a BP you must move the quill down a 1/8" inch or so for the shift lever to be engaged. Sounds like the up feed trip was not working for that to happen . Feed not rotating ,first thing I would suspect is the very small bevel gear is stripped/broken. This gear is driven off the spindle and transmits the power to the feed gear box on the left side of the head. You have learned a valuable/hard lesson ,always check the feed direction in the speed range you are using with the quill down aways. You also may have a broken trip lever [dogbone] on the up feed.

Back