What's new
What's new

Sharpening Jewelers Saw Blades

Flute Maker

Cast Iron
Hi folks,

Thurston Saw, in RI, closed. I bought new, and had old blades sharpened there. These are 190 tooth 2.5" x .016" x 1/2" THey call them #84s.
Does anyone sharpen these anymore? New are about $13.

Thanks,

Payson.

I doubt anyone would sharpen them for any price that would be reasonable vs $13 for new. The manufacturer was already set up to grind these in volume so it was probably economical for them. I suspect if you need to have them sharpened in quantity you'd have to set up something yourself. We live in a throwaway society today.

I'd give a call to Boggs Tool - they sharpen files using a steam/pressure abrasive process. They've done a great job on our tiny fine tooth jeweler files as well as all the larger sizes. Prices are really favorable!

Haven't asked about saw blades, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they handle them as well:

Boggs Tool & File Sharpening Company

(800) 547-5244

Does anyone sharpen these anymore? New are about $13.

I have used these as cutoff saws for small stock. I think they usually come in from KEO. Because I lack the know-how and the tooling to sharpen them, I have never tried, and have just bought more, new.
$13 now & then isn't a budget buster.

-Marty-

We have gotten carbide blades direct from Southern Carbide in the past. Usually 10 blades at a time. Carbide will cost more but maybe worth it if you can use them without breaking them.

Back