What's new
What's new

Shars vs discount_machine

mwill135

Aluminum
So is it just me or is discount_machine on Ebay just Shars but on Ebay? Or is this an outlet that sells Shars returns etc?

So is it just me or is discount_machine on Ebay just Shars but on Ebay? Or is this an outlet that sells Shars returns etc?

Haven't bought MUCH from DM. ISTR a couple of Shars Cast Iron D1-3 backplates in good shape but rather sad OEM cartons. Those seemed stale stock, poorly handled internally, not returns. Studs and anchor were still in the bags, Preservative coating OEM and the usual smell.

Most was new, just cheap and Chinese.

Pre my Peoples Republic of COVID boycott, I liked H&H Industrial better than DM or CDCO for knowing which Chinese item was worth the bother and which was not.

2CW .. and "ABC"

If not US made, then Taiwan, Europe, Brazil, India... ANYBODY BUT CHINA!

Don't have much experience with Brazil, but how India made it onto your OK list puzzles me. The shoddiest examples of low-end tooling I have ever seen have been stamped "India".

-Marty-
In 2018, I bought a small milling vise from an Indian eBay seller. It was very nicely machined and precision ground; looked like good goods. Except the body came from a foundry with a severe infestation of iron worms. It was a total waste of resources to finish machine that casting. I wrote to the seller, who sells that same vise on Amazon, by the way. He said that that holey vise should have been kept in India for local sale and offered a discount. I took a full refund. They did not want me to ship it back at their expense, so it went in the trash.

I had a similar experience, but simply with abominable machining, on an Indian copy of a Cleveland adjustable reamer. Again a full refund and tool in the trash.

So I place India infinitely far below China on my list of potentially acceptable quality sources for tooling.

I have a Mitutoyo mike made in Brazil that is just as nice as their Japanese product.

Larry

DSC01501.jpg DSC01504.jpg DSC01502.jpg

In 2018, I bought a small milling vise from an Indian eBay seller. It was very nicely machined and precision ground; looked like good goods. Except the body came from a foundry with a severe infestation of iron worms. It was a total waste of resources to finish machine that casting. I wrote to the seller, who sells that same vise on Amazon, by the way. He said that that holey vise should have been kept in India for local sale and offered a discount. I took a full refund. They did not want me to ship it back at their expense, so it went in the trash.

I had a similar experience, but simply with abominable machining, on an Indian copy of a Cleveland adjustable reamer. Again a full refund and tool in the trash.

So I place India infinitely far below China on my list of potentially acceptable quality sources for tooling.

I have a Mitutoyo mike made in Brazil that is just as nice as their Japanese product.

Larry

View attachment 299771 View attachment 299772 View attachment 299773

Mmmmm, I can smell the cosmo from here!

Discount Machine is Shars' Ebay sale site. I have bought from both and it's the same products, just free shipping on Ebay. Everything I have bought from DM were new unopened products. I don't like buying from China but I have to look at the use and price due to my budget.
Ben

Back