What's new
What's new

Shear Blade for High Tensile Steel

shearydoo

Plastic
Hello everyone! :)

I have a mechanical shearing machine of 2500 mm width capable of cutting upto 12 mm mild steel.

Lately, weve been trying to shear 6mm high tensile steel with max UTS at 900Mpa, and it is causing big chips on our blade (refer the photo attached).
The current shear blade is of D2 Steel, someone recommended that I should change the blades out to shock resistant steel. What are your opinions on this?

Photo:: Dropbox - WhatsApp Image 2020-09-10 at 4.52.21 PM (1).jpeg - Simplify your life

Last edited:
I'd contact the manufacturer on this....high tensile material is like mild steel and stainless..... I cut my 11 ga stainless on a 7 gauge shear.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I'd contact the manufacturer on this....high tensile material is like mild steel and stainless..... I cut my 11 ga stainless on a 7 gauge shear.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I did contact them, they made me buy a D2 blade with reduced hardness. It wasn't much effective, still the same chipping/breakage.
Then I contacted a blade manufacturer, he said id need H13 steel blades fo my application but it would come at a cost of quicker resharpening.

Keep in mind that poor quality steel, improper heat treatment and tempering, blade angles and rate/rise, etc. will affect blade life.

D2 seems like a good choice to me still, I would explore your options for finding a high-quality source for the blade stock, use the best heat-treater available, and perhaps look at deep cryogenic treatment between heat treat and tempering. Effect of Deep Cryogenic Treatment on Tribological Behaviour of D2 Tool Steel - An Experimental Investigation - ScienceDirect

You might also purposely grind the blades for greater "shear" action (greater angle along blade to reduce stress as blade cuts through material) than the current blade.

If the frame of your shear isn't stiff enough the stress of cutting the stronger material may be distorting the frame and allowing blade-on-blade contacts, which will ruin any blade material.

Keep in mind that poor quality steel, improper heat treatment and tempering, blade angles and rate/rise, etc. will affect blade life.

D2 seems like a good choice to me still, I would explore your options for finding a high-quality source for the blade stock, use the best heat-treater available, and perhaps look at deep cryogenic treatment between heat treat and tempering. Effect of Deep Cryogenic Treatment on Tribological Behaviour of D2 Tool Steel - An Experimental Investigation - ScienceDirect

You might also purposely grind the blades for greater "shear" action (greater angle along blade to reduce stress as blade cuts through material) than the current blade.

If the frame of your shear isn't stiff enough the stress of cutting the stronger material may be distorting the frame and allowing blade-on-blade contacts, which will ruin any blade material.

Thanks for your reply!.

We observed and haven't noticed any vibrations in the shear frame when cutting the material.
Cryogenic treatments arent available here, so unable to look into that.

Wouldnt grinding the blade convert my 4 useable edge blade to a 2 edge blade?

Thanks for your reply!.

We observed and haven't noticed any vibrations in the shear frame when cutting the material.
Cryogenic treatments arent available here, so unable to look into that.

There must be technical universities in your area, you could try contacting their engineering departments to see if they know of any resources that could do the work. India has significant manufacturing capability now, I'd be surprised if this sort of work couldn't be done.

Wouldnt grinding the blade convert my 4 useable edge blade to a 2 edge blade?

Maybe, but if the blade works for your needs isn't it worth it?

There must be technical universities in your area, you could try contacting their engineering departments to see if they know of any resources that could do the work. India has significant manufacturing capability now, I'd be surprised if this sort of work couldn't be done.

Maybe, but if the blade works for your needs isn't it worth it?

Will give it a try! Thanks

Back