What's new
What's new

Shear Warping Part with Offset

My shop recently got a new shear, and I'm trying to work out how to make a part we used to make fine on our old shear. The part is just a 20" wide piece of 14ga mild steel with a tiny offset. The issue is that the offset is so small, we make it with a little extra piece on it, bend it, then shear that piece off, but the shear warps it in all kinds of ways. We under bend it a bit so that when the shear blade comes down with the flange down, the flange levels out, but when the blade comes back up it pushes the part into the hold downs, creating marks where the hold downs are, a severely distorted flange, and a horrible noise to go with it. I've tried playing with the rake and gap settings a bit, I've tried shearing it sandwiched in between two pieces of fiberglass as a buffer, and I've tried shearing it with the flange on top (which just curled the flange, but I'm looking for more suggestions. Our old shear was a Wysong mechanical and our new shear is a Haco hydraulic. I don't know if decreasing the hold down pressure would help, or perhaps some sort of lubrication so that the blade doesn't take the part with it, or if we need to do something else on the bending side to make it work.

We were doing it with the rake angle and blade clearance both set to "3", which I'm not sure what that is exactly, but the parameters lead me to believe a blade gap of about 82 (microns?) and a rake angle of about 141. We tried it again with a gap of "1" (about 50) and a rake angle of "5" (162) and the indentations from the hold downs were less noticeable, but the flange was pretty wavy.

As for removing the part before raising the blade, the hold downs won't release until the blade is back up.

New or new to you? Are the rest of the cuts burr free?
I'd put pieces of paper along the cutting edge and adjust until you get a clean cut.

Jim

Back