What's new
What's new

Sheet Aluminum Scrap Buyers

CatMan

Hot Rolled
I've got a roll of 3003 aluminum that has some "cosmetic imperfections" I'm looking to get rid of.

The roll is 48" wide. Material is 3003 aluminum mill finish. Thickness is 0.040". The roll is measured to weigh around 3000#. Calculators say there's about 1400' of material in the roll.

Some moisture got into it and I had to put it away. Obviously it isn't rust, but I've heard it described as white rust, or hazing, or clouding. This was 2-3 years ago. I'm tired of looking at it, and since aluminum price is up, I'm looking to dump it. My scrap buyers give me 35 cents / lb for the drops of this stuff. One of them said he would give me a little more since it was a continuous roll.

Does anyone out there know someone who might really be interested specifically for sheet aluminum? I paid $2.50/lb for the roll I got in January. Do you think I could get a dollar / pound for this stuff? I know freight might be an issue, but for a few thousand pounds I thought it might be worth it.

AL1.jpg

Any metal shed fabricators in your area or pre-engineered metal building manufacturers like Star, NuCor or Bulter, etc? Maybe a smaller company could use. Would be ideal for roll forming corrugated wall or roof panels.

and since aluminum price is up, I'm looking to dump it. My scrap buyers give me 35 cents / lb for the drops of this stuff.

I think you missed the boat at aluminum being up, at least regarding scrap.

For my local yard, clean aluminum sheet is at $0.26/pound. Not too terribly long ago, I was getting $0.43 and $0.45 for the same stuff, for around 500 pounds at a time.

Do you guys call ahead and negotiate pricing ahead of time? We got close to 70 cents per pound for aluminum instead of the 45 cents they offered us there without a prior quote.

I think you missed the boat at aluminum being up, at least regarding scrap.

For my local yard, clean aluminum sheet is at $0.26/pound. Not too terribly long ago, I was getting $0.43 and $0.45 for the same stuff, for around 500 pounds at a time.

When I said aluminum was up, I was referring to the new price. One would think that scrap price is somewhat related to new price, but that would be a fallacy.

In 2016 I was buying this 3003 sheet for $1.31/lb. When I started shopping for this last roll in December, I was getting $2.75/lb for a price. I worked with the guy to get new price down to $2.51/lb.

When I said aluminum was up, I was referring to the new price. One would think that scrap price is somewhat related to new price, but that would be a fallacy.

In 2016 I was buying this 3003 sheet for $1.31/lb. When I started shopping for this last roll in December, I was getting $2.75/lb for a price. I worked with the guy to get new price down to $2.51/lb.

I initially thought the same thing, too, but apparently it's not the case.

I primarily buy sheet as well, so I feel your pain. Went from $1.60 in 2017 to $2.65 last year, down to $2.55 this week (sheets, in around 1000 pound quantities).

My supplier's outside sales guy was by yesterday - he says since everyone thinks the tariffs and such are going to be short term, nobody has geared up to produce sheet in this country, save for one mill in Arkansas, which isn't online yet, so there hasn't been an increased demand on that front.

Also, I have a couple custom extrusions made. Last summer, lead time was 7-8 weeks for this same order size. Placed another order Tuesday, was told it'd be ready by Feb 18th.

Nope, ready for shipment today, 48 hours later. There clearly must not be much of a demand for extrusions, either.

Back