What's new
What's new

Sheet metal screw question

gmach10

Hot Rolled
I've got to change out my garage door this weekend. The #14 hex head screws that were in the original door have a coarse thread and real bite when tightened but anything I get at Menard's or Home Depot have a finer pitch thread and strip very easy. Measured the root diameter for appropriate drill ever undersized it and still couldn't get them to tighten like the originals. Went so far as to not even drilling a pilot hole same results. Not a big fan of self drilling or "Tech" screws. Are wood lag bolts the same as sheet metal bolts?
Thanks, Glenn.

The screws you're "not a fan of" are probably your best choice. They do a great job of holding roof and siding panels.

Yup. self drillers make a hole only as large as needed.

For even more holding, look for self drilling roofing screws called "Stitcher screws"
Made to hold tin-to-tin. More coarse thread, and smaller center dia.

I've got to change out my garage door this weekend. The #14 hex head screws that were in the original door have a coarse thread and real bite when tightened but anything I get at Menard's or Home Depot have a finer pitch thread and strip very easy. Measured the root diameter for appropriate drill ever undersized it and still couldn't get them to tighten like the originals. Went so far as to not even drilling a pilot hole same results. Not a big fan of self drilling or "Tech" screws. Are wood lag bolts the same as sheet metal bolts?
Thanks, Glenn.
Lag screws are mainly used on wood to hold heavy objects.
Check out the Self Drilling screws - Sheet Metal Screws Self Tapping - Screws: Fastenere.com

Are the sheet screws the tri lobed ones, they are thread forming not tapping from memory, they virtually make a boss in the sheet as opposed to shaving it out
Mark

In my garage door there are sheet metal screws around rectangular frames holding glass. I have been tempted to remove the frames to clean out the little
bugs that crawled inside. But the aluminum is so thin, don't want to strip the hole. The metal brackets holding the door and track are thick enough for a
a longer thread. I like it that way.

I hate sheet metal screws and will change them out for something better. If the opportunity is there and there is no risk of damage.
Usually a tap to a larger machine screw size. Otherwise live with it.

If I wanted something strong I would get some of those deck screws with star drive heads. The green is a square drive head.
Then maybe a circular button of a hefty size. The one pictured is not solid but a pressed plate. Just put there for the idea.
I also think the threads here are just for wood. But the button idea is not bad for either metal or wood.

DSC_1173.JPG

Last edited:

Back