What's new
What's new

Shelden lathe identification

grandma

Plastic
I just purchased a used Shelden Lathe with the I.D. plate missing.:angry:

The Shelden Lathe Yahoo group has just ended!

Can anybody help me I.D. this Lathe with the attached pictures?

Thank you, Grandma20191030_151611.jpg20191102_121224.jpg20191030_151527.jpg

The model number for your lathe would start with 'E'. The next letter depends on the swing, i.e. a 13" lathe would be 'M'. The next part is the length of the bed, in inches and measured from one extreme end to the other (not just in front of the headstock.) Your model number would end with a 'P', and that's it! The 'E' stands for 'econo-drive', the 'P' stands for 'pedestal mount/cabinet'. You fill in the measurement blanks and you've got the designation. It looks like your lathe was probably made in the '40s.

Others may have better info.

I would agree with Gordon's assessment as to the time of manufacture. This particular style cabinet was built specifically for the military. The key give away is the leg set on the headstock end. The machine was designed to fit on the drivers side of a machine shop truck between the cab and the rear wheel well. The legs just clear the angle on the front of the fender.

Here's a link to a WWII machine shop truck. Note the GI operating the lathe near the front of the box on the drivers side. If you look closely you'll see the configuration of the cabinet legs.

wwII military machine shop truck - Google Search

Going by the serial number of your lathe show in your posted picture. The "S" indicates its a 10 inch lathe. the number "7833" indicates it was built sometime in the early 1940's. The "US" stamped down the bed from the S/N is the military stamp of approval.

Yes, the Sheldon Yahoo group has moved over to the "Groups'io". They still haven't moved everything over but is in the works.

Ken

I am currently looking for the badge plates for the threading speeds and lever positions. I was able to find a video of the lathe here: YouTube However, I can't seem to read the plates from the low resolution images. Can someone send me higher resolution pictures of the plates or have the plates available for purchase?

Back