What's new
What's new

Sheldon 15 lathe threading dial

Ranger1911

Plastic
Hello every body I just purchased a Sheldon 15 lathe and got it going and i found that every time i engage the half nuts it makes the threading dial stop moving and when i disengage them it starts to turn again the dial gear is rounded some but have no Manuel for the machine and the picture that i have found are not clear .Is the gear just worn out ,any help would be nice thanks .

Welcome to PM. This sounds like an R model. That gear is probably garolite. Does it appear to have a fabric reinforcement to the gear? That gear is a 32 tooth, 26 diametral pitch worm gear....I think. 'Spose it could be made from aluminum. The teeth would have to be cut on a 2º angle to fit the slant of the lead screw. Notice directly in front of the dial, you will see either a setscrew or bolt heading straight to the dial housing. Loosen it up and lift the housing up a tweak and see will engage. If not, maybe the spring pin is missing. You can pull the entire housing from the top of the apron. When not in use, it is stored in that hole on the right side of the apron. This all hinges on it being an "R".

Hello every body I just purchased a Sheldon 15 lathe and got it going and i found that every time i engage the half nuts it makes the threading dial stop moving and when i disengage them it starts to turn again the dial gear is rounded some but have no Manuel for the machine and the picture that i have found are not clear .Is the gear just worn out ,any help would be nice thanks .
Maybe you should simply reach to the left, and dis-engage both
the leadscrew, and the power feed shaft.
Levers are right there.

Before you damage something.

You guys are busting my gut! I just got off a post about how rough we are on hobbyists. :)

Ranger1911, don't feel put off. I was at first confused by the dial stopping. It does that because the carriage is moving with the lead-screw while the half-nuts are engaged. So the dial stops turning. That's normal.

By the way, I am a Sheldon EXL owner. Your lathe is a couple of classes above mine. So I'm a tad jealous. Join the SheldonLathe Yahoo group for detailed resources for your Sheldon. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Hello Bob and thank you for the info i did see a YouTube video were the dial stopped spinning when the half nuts where on i was not sure how the threading would be in the same line if the dial was not engaged all the time .i just sold my delta rockwell 14x60 metal lathe VD pull drive lathe as it had a really bad worn section on the bed ways other than that it was ready good to me,my Sheldon came with a tapper attachment and 3and4 jaw chucks small face plate old style tool post but i have the quick change tool holder and all my rock well tooling so i an lucky to have all the tools i have 15 years of one tool here one there .thank you very much for your time to message me with the good info an looking to retire next year and relocate to AZ and build a new shop just for metal working ,if you are looking for a bigger lathe i come across things all the time would be glad to help any way i can .

The gear is brass cut to fit the lead screw i was able to find some details about the gear it has about 3 thous wear so its going to be just fine just need to clean it up really good do a full oil change grease all fitting .PS the back gears are a bonded material reddish brown in color never seen that in back gears if it brakes i am sure i can find some help here for it Thank you for replying.

I am not a Machinist by trade just my own projects and a few 1 offs i own a body shop and have been building cars for about 35 years just a little back ground in case i say some thing wrong or out side the Machinist lingo Thanks

That applies to a thread dial on any lathe. When the half nuts are engaged, the dial will stop moving. That is completely normal. If it did move with the half nut engaged, then you would have a problem.

The thread dial on most English measure lathes (inch pitch lead screw) is designed and marked to measure the distance along the lead screw in inches. Most of them use a four inch span which allows it to synchronize threads with whole number TPIs as well as any thread with a 1/2", a 1/4", and a 3/4" fraction. So a 13 1/4 TPI thread would be in the range of what a four inch thread dial could synchronize. It is all a matter of allowing the work and the lead screw to move by a distance that brings the thread being cut into alignment. That also explains why the dial must stay on the same reading (line) when the half nuts are engaged. If the half nuts are engaged at the proper point, then that proper point will not change as the carriage with the threading tool moves along the work being threaded. So the dial stays still.

You guys are busting my gut! I just got off a post about how rough we are on hobbyists. :)

Ranger1911, don't feel put off. I was at first confused by the dial stopping. It does that because the carriage is moving with the lead-screw while the half-nuts are engaged. So the dial stops turning. That's normal.

By the way, I am a Sheldon EXL owner. Your lathe is a couple of classes above mine. So I'm a tad jealous. Join the SheldonLathe Yahoo group for detailed resources for your Sheldon. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Everyone is assuming that the lathe is an R15 but you have not confirmed it. If it is, I have the manual scanned and can send it to you.

Bill

Back