What's new
What's new

Sheldon EXL cross-feed clutch adjustment?

Zip

Aluminum
Just picked up a Sheldon EXL 38 (5X12) lathe. When engaged the cross-feed (dial) is intermittent. Does this lathe have cross-feed clutch adjustment capabilities?

Thanks

(wasn't sure where to post this)

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 167
That outer collar has a set screw, it may be loosened and the collar tighten down a bit to increase the pressure on the clutch plates.
But, before anything....is it also slipping on the long feed?

The gear on the cross feed screw is pinned on the shaft and could have sheared,if the long feed is not slipping then you might want to take a gander at that.

Also can be a bit finicky to engage the lever,so are you sure the selector lever is all the way engaged in the detent? In your pic it does not look to be, you sometimes have to turn the cross feed crank a bit to get the gears in mesh so it can engage fully.

The long feed is turning normally...from your description I suspect that the feed screw may have a sheared pin. The dial does turn when I move the lever for about a half turn then stops..if I manually turn the dial back it takes off again. Guess I need to get inside it tomorrow..BTW: The lever was down just so that long looking nut was visible (I think it's bent a little and have no idea what it's function is).

Thanks!

the lever with the red knob is the clutch lever.
the selector is the other one...up is cross feed,middle is neutral,down is long feed.

The long hex head is just the stop for the clutch lever IIRC.

That outer collar has a set screw, it may be loosened and the collar tighten down a bit to increase the pressure on the clutch plates.

FYI: Loosened the set screw and adjusted the lever slightly....and the cross feed is working great!

Thanks again..

Back