What's new
What's new

sheldon lathe

almoose

Plastic
newly working for a machine shop, they have this old Sheldon Lathe they use from time to time. the cross slide feed auto slips sometimes. looking for a part list for the collar and collet to replace. they won't let me take apart to get sizes.

newly working for a machine shop, they have this old Sheldon Lathe they use from time to time. the cross slide feed auto slips sometimes. looking for a part list for the collar and collet to replace. they won't let me take apart to get sizes.

As mentioned above, the lathe model would be helpful. I you don't have that, a picture. Is it geared-head or belt drive?

Usually, if the feed slips on a Sheldon it is because of a missing or sheared key.

If it is a later built Sheldon lathe, the clutch pack in the apron needs adjusting. It's a simple adjustment of loosening a set screw on the collar on the end of the clutch shaft where the hand lever attaches. Rotate the collar about 1/2 of a turn, lift up on the lever and determine if it is making better engagement. If so, tighten the set screw and you're ready to go. If not give it another 1/2 turn, and if that does not work, time to take the apron off and do a clutch rebuild and what ever else needs fixing in the apron.

If it is an older Sheldon with the old cone clutch arrangement in the apron, it will require rebuilding the apron.

Ken

Gordon
The R model has separate clutches

Tom
For every word I type I discovered if I add another letter then backspace then use the space bar I create a space. Comp is screwed up

Back