What's new
What's new

Shell Mill Identification Help

RallySoup1000

Plastic
I recently picked up a shell mill from a machinery wholesaler for $45 today. it has no identification marks and it came with a R8 collet. The cutter inserts are really worn down and I'm in need of replacements. As I am relatively new to machining I'm pretty lost on tool identification. If anyone can help me Identify this tool and its inserts it will be much appreciated.IMG_20190406_141927.jpgIMG_20190406_102421.jpg

You paid way too much... throw that in the garbage and pick up an indexable facemill.

A Chinese facemill will outperform that 100% and exkenna (latheinserts.com) or Frank at Maritool with hook you up with a much more modern tool.

It is most likely going to be very difficult to find replacements for those. Here's a link to an old thread talking about basically the same thing.

Help me find carbide inserts for a face mill

There is one response that mentions making your own out of lathe tool bits and putting a slot in them instead of just a hole. This should allow you to index them all to the same height if you let them rest on a flat surface and then tighten everything. Good luck!

With that being said. Is the collet/arbor still any good? The diameter of the shank (I'm not 100% sure on the terminology) is 1" if it is any good what would be a good inexpensive shell mill that would fit this?
5536a78988fe719d176b7b6dc8ffe36b.jpg

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

The facemill should have an arbor size listed. 1” is a little large for a R8 spindle IMO a lot of smaller diameter facemill are 3/4”.

Lathe inserts .com

I was thinking the same thing. That's a hefty shell mill for R8. Generally the arbor size correlates to the mill size. IMHO, 2" is a good "large" size shell mill for R8. Going to be a bit of digging to find a 2" shell mill with 1" arbor.

You paid way too much... throw that in the garbage and pick up an indexable facemill.

A Chinese facemill will outperform that 100% and exkenna (latheinserts.com) or Frank at Maritool with hook you up with a much more modern tool.

Second that on trash it! ( tho I did use one of those I got for free, once, I will admit!):)

Maritool doesn’t mess around with R8 tooling, as of my last inquiry for something oddball I thought they might grind for me.

As For max facemill for R8, for careful light cuts on aluminum or good cast iron you can go bigger than 2” for sure, but work intelligently within its limitations.

Second that on trash it! ( tho I did use one of those I got for free, once, I will admit!):)

Maritool doesn’t mess around with R8 tooling, as of my last inquiry for something oddball I thought they might grind for me.

As For max facemill for R8, for careful light cuts on aluminum or good cast iron you can go bigger than 2” for sure, but work intelligently within its limitations.

Frank might not make R8 tooling but I thought he carried 1” shank indexable tooling that would fit an R8 collet but maybe that was exkenna.

Frank might not make R8 tooling but I thought he carried 1” shank indexable tooling that would fit an R8 collet but maybe that was exkenna.

Oh yes, just an indexable face mill body for his 1” X R8 arbor, well you can get that lots of places, and he is looking for a cheap one, so that rules out exkenna and Frank. I’d suggest eBay, penn tool, shars, (regrettably) unless he wants to spend 300$ and up, yes?

I stand (partly) corrected! Maritool does retail some 1-200$ indexable mills with 1” arbor hole, I just looked

I looked on Maritool and I will be ordering one that fits from them. Thank you all for the help.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Back