What's new
What's new

Shipping loaded shipping containers full of machine stuff?

Straightedge

Hot Rolled
We've used 45' high-cube "cargo-worthy" containers for storing machines, spare parts, and miscellaneous stuff for years. We're thinking about moving everything cross-country. Obviously, we could hire out some Conestoga flatbed trailers, forklift everything, and call it good. On the other hand, they are SHIPPING containers, after all, and we'd still want containers at the new place. Supposing we have about 25,000 pounds in each container, is there any reason we can't bolt/secure all the contents and ship the loaded containers? Who should a guy in the SF bay area talk with about this?

I assume for a sealed container they do not play the freight classification game and charge more by later claiming it fits into another class.
Bil lD

I assume for a sealed container they do not play the freight classification game and charge more by later claiming it fits into another class.
Bil lD

A landall trailer can easily winch the container up and then you can chain it to something and have the truck pull forward to pull it off. Used to do it all the time up and down the east coast.

A landall trailer can easily winch the container up and then you can chain it to something and have the truck pull forward to pull it off. Used to do it all the time up and down the east coast.

Problem I have run into with Landolls is they tend to be local. They are awesome, but I don't know anyone with Landolls that would haul without being home for dinner.

Problem I have run into with Landolls is they tend to be local. They are awesome, but I don't know anyone with Landolls that would haul without being home for dinner.

That's a good call. I'd have no problem with whoever picks this up taking it to the port of Oakland and seeing this stuff make 95% of the distance via UP/BNSF/CSX. Landoll gets home for dinner no problem :)

I agree, look into rail shipping.
Or if trucking try to find a trucker with the dollys? that plug onto the container and use it as its own trailer. I am not sure those do more than local though either.
How many containers?
Do you have equipment to lift a loaded one?

I looked into doing this same thing several years ago but with a 40' container shipping from Alaska to Idaho. It gets complicated on several fronts but in my case the container needed to be sea worthy. Meaning it was in good enough condition to be loaded on a barge and open to the elements along with other requirements. Your container wouldn't be looking at ocean travel so that's one hurdle you need not worry about.

The other issue is securing and bracing the load which can be very time consuming depending on the machines and quanity. If one machine gets loose it can play havoc inside the container. If I remember correctly the 40' standard height container I was looking at was good for 45,000 lbs. The cost to get it to Boise ID from Anchorage Alaska was $8700. I didn't know how much weight I had but I had a complete machine shop and wood working shop plus all the other stuff, Like welding tables, materials both wood and metal. probably like you in the neighborhood of 25,000 lbs.

I didn't make the move so can only offer you the things I considered when planning the move.

Ron

I have done this. I used a freight broker to book an independent trucker who owned his own flatbed. So I supervised loading (in my case, because of where the container was, and the weight (40,000 lbs plus or minus) I needed to load it with a crane. Then, the truck drove straight to my place, I flew up and met it there, and supervised unloading (again with a crane).

When loading the container, I bolted some things to the floor, some clips in the internal rails with straps, some crated, and some just wedged and stacked with no room to move. This was my container, that I had owned for some time before, and for another ten years after.

It all worked out fine.

The rate was a flat rate, not based on freight classification.
My broker said- a flat bed, hauling a container that weighs this much, is this much money. Take it or leave it.
The freight classification thing comes in when you are working with big LTL companies, usually.

At the same time, I got Schneider to drop off a 45 foot trailer for a week, which I loaded, then they came, picked it up, drove it 1200 miles to my new place, and left it for a week for me to unload. Cost me a bit extra for the parking time at each end, but it enabled me to carefully load everything and make sure it would not shift during the move.

This was some years ago, so actual prices are way out of date, but it was much cheaper than LTL, and much much cheaper than machinery movers or moving companies.

Try calling Joey at Specialized Equipment at 909 591 0851. I think that's the right number. They run trucks nation wide and do rigging. He's a good guy and he can help you.

That's a good call. I'd have no problem with whoever picks this up taking it to the port of Oakland and seeing this stuff make 95% of the distance via UP/BNSF/CSX. Landoll gets home for dinner no problem :)

Not going to happen. The container number must be current in the equipment register and certified for transport. Otherwise j8st flat car load and good luck with that, the railroads are discouraging loose car freight.

I agree, look into rail shipping.
Or if trucking try to find a trucker with the dollys? that plug onto the container and use it as its own trailer. I am not sure those do more than local though either.
How many containers?
Do you have equipment to lift a loaded one?

No such thing. A steamship container needs either a flatbed or a container chassis

We sometimes move containers from Minnesota to Alaska for jobs. Transported on flat deck trailers. The truck companies don't care about certification or anything else for overland transport. It is just flat bed cargo. The strap down over the top with straps (not good) or chain it down (better). But since they are just flat bed trailers, they won't be locking into the corner fittings. The chains get close to acceptable in my opinion. But the straps over the top non-structural members is just asking for trouble.

In any case, you can estimate about $2 per loaded mile for general full load flat bed trucking. You load and unload. You might get it cheaper on a popular route, but $2 seems to be pretty close in what I see lately.

If you want some advice in the Bay Area call Bob Rowe at Rowe Machinery here in Santa Cruz. He just helped one lady who sold all her stuff to some guys in Central America. They did the whole shipping container filled with machine tools so he has some experience at it as this was not his first time. Good guy to talk to. Rowe Machinery (831) 458-9181

Back