What's new
What's new

Shizuoka SV-CH manual mill: any other owners out there?

TheOldCar

Stainless
New machine day for me... well, actually was last summer, but finally tooled up!

Just wondering if anyone else has one. Tips, warnings, advice appreciated.

This one is the vertical only, looks like same table as the horizontal.

CAT 50, power knee and rapid traverse on X, spindle speeds a bit slow, but I can now use a face mill without rattling the Bridgeports to death.

New machine day for me... well, actually was last summer, but finally tooled up!

Just wondering if anyone else has one. Tips, warnings, advice appreciated.

This one is the vertical only, looks like same table as the horizontal.

CAT 50, power knee and rapid traverse on X, spindle speeds a bit slow, but I can now use a face mill without rattling the Bridgeports to death.

good afternoon-pat here in bay area ca.-will be following this,as i've been asking ?'s about my an-s,and have yet to find ANYONE to reply who can help--at least you spelled it right-i didn't when i first posted-good luck to both of us!!-pat

how about some pics?!

SV-CH is a bit different than the AN-S, at least the head part:

49527795178_4a00eac564_b.jpg
[/url]fullsizeoutput_4f2 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

49527794853_f760a4c370_b.jpg
[/url]fullsizeoutput_4f4 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

have mine somewhat torn apart now-will take pics tomorrow,hopefully-am waiting on some bearings at the moment-and they are expensive!-pat(don't know if you were asking ME for pics,now that i think about it!)
here's some in process pics-they will prob be all twisted!! will take a couple more when i get the spindle and quill reassembled,and hopefully show that!.I definitely hope SOMEONE will chime in about the oiling of all this-just looks like congealed grease in the innards,and i'm wondering if the bijur is oiling all these pieces,or what the design of the oiling system even is!!

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
C'mon, anyone else have the SPECIFIC model SV-CH?? Anyone still using these?? I've PM'd the member who posted about one as a new arrival, but no answer.

Just to be clear, I'm specifically asking about the Shizuoka SV-CH, not AN-S, SP-CH or any other machine.

Shizouka doesn't seem to be too hot of a topic on the forums and most of the threads I have seen are on the AN-S

he's right!!-i was beating the bushes for info--and i really have to ask...are there people on thesem forums who have taken things apart,and KNOW how,but don't want to share the knowledge? this is understandable if they are a business-you can't just go to a car dealer and have them tell you how to fix your new car-but i kind of hoped there's "old-time' experience here to draw on. Having said all that,now that my an-s is all back together w/ aforementioned 1 k worth of bearings!! ,i will be glad to advise on what i learned if it would help anyone out there (here)--good morning from pat ,btw..

Hi there, I have one of these machines. It’s exactly the same from the pictures. Mine was made in 1967 and imported into Australia. I have been trying to buy some parts out of Japan as the American distributor basically lost interest in the Shizoaka brand. A lot of the bits that I need I can make. I had the table, dovetails, gib strips and Y travel reground. The machine is still apart. While it’s apart I’m putting in new seals for the oil and new bearings in the various electrical motors. I’m also replacing the wiring as I noticed cracking in the insulation and it was just a matter of time before trouble occurred. The nut on the lead screw has also been repaired. I unclogged all of the oil galleries that are used for lubrication. I’ll replace the nylon cover strips that protect the slideways. It’s also getting a full paint job. The painting is where I’m up to and then it goes back together and after that I will make the missing parts and try and order what I can’t make. I am missing the bent handle. I have no idea how accurate it will be when it goes back together but the machine in general was not knocked about and the table only needed 0.5 mm to basically clean it up like new.

I finally finished this job with the help of my 13 year old son, he said come on we have to get that finished. It’s exceptionally accurate if you ask me. Very happy with the rebuild, I put the dial indicator on it and across its travel, I had the stops set at 860 mm it deviated 0.015 mm max but was generally perfect the whole way.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
Nice job on the refresh. For you guys complaining about nobody helping you with info, keep in mind that these are not all that common of a machine. You're a lot less likely to get help on something hardly anyone else has run across. It's not a conspiracy to keep you from fixing your machine.... Some of you'se fellas need a tinfoil hat, methinks.

Back