What's new
What's new

Aluminum flat bar anything but!

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Grabbed a couple feet of 1/4" x 3" alum flat at my local (good) supplier, did't look close at it. Started making a piece and notice it's curved across the piece about 0.050 out at the middle.

Never saw this before, did I get a bad piece or are things in general just slipping.

I don't need ground plate but I can't use warped either, am I destined to walk around the supplier with a straight edge?

Very common In ali flat bar, depending on brand. Ive seen 1/2 x 12 shipped from mcmaster carr with a .100 bow..

Had some 12" x 2" blanks with over 1/16" bow across them, some flat bar is just not flat. Aluminum likes to move as it cools, and moves even more as you cut it. We went to Mic6 cast tool plate for fixturing because it was nearly the same price, comes finished on both sides, and is usually quite flat.

Unlike cold finished steel, most aluminum of this type is extruded and then stretcher leveled. When the bar comes out of the extruder, it looks like a wet noodle. Once it cools somewhat, the strip is gripped on each end and pulled which tends to straighten it, but its not perfect. If want truly flat and straight material, then use MIC6 or start with a block and mill it on all sides.

Tom

Back