Shop improvement...ladder safety 'tip'
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shop improvement...ladder safety 'tip'

This is nothing new, but I thought I'd mention it....whenever I need to get on the shop roof, I used to just use an extension ladder leaned against the gutter. But...I'm at an age where I'm still willing to go on the roof, but my willingness to fall 16 feet to solid Earth has waned considerably.

I made a quick 'ladder landing bar' out of some 1-1/4" SS angle and used 3/8" lag screws to attach it to the header the gutter attaches to. The header is a solid 2x8 board, and I used some SS spacers between the angle and header so the gutter itself sees no load. I then made some eyelets to allow me to securely ratchet strap the ladder in place.

On the ground, I backed up my Kubota tractor until the drawbar touches the ladder, then strapped it as well.

The result? The ladder is super-rigid...going up went from a shaky experience to one of pure confidence. Best of all, the transition from ladder-to-roof and back is no longer a tricky maneuver. Cheap, long lasting, and very effective.

ladder-bay.jpg

2. Likes David_M, Mud, sfriedberg, paul39, Homebrewblob and 8 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's pretty slick. I did something similar but not nearly as nice to the side of my sailboat. When it is on the ways I have to lean a ladder up against the rail to get on board. Scared the crap out of me a few times when the ladder started to slip sideways. I now tie the ladder to a cleat to keep it from sliding, but after seeing what you did, I'm sure I can come up with something a bit more elegant. Thanks.

4. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good idea. The transition from ladder to roof isn't too bad, it's the other way that can be dicey but by then you don't have a choice!

6. Likes Steven-Canada, GregSY, fusker, jmp, dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually your on to something Holmes.Same can be applied to backing your truck up close and personal so ladder does not slip,,,Thanks

8. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any good ideas for a ladder that has to be moved? I am going to put siding on my 100+ year old Victorian house, complete with a turret. 22' to the highest eve. For about a third of the way around I will have to work off a 4-12 pitch roof.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Any good ideas for a ladder that has to be moved? I am going to put siding on my 100+ year old Victorian house, complete with a turret. 22' to the highest eve. For about a third of the way around I will have to work off a 4-12 pitch roof.
    34' Articulating Man Lift | Sunbelt Rentals

Check to make sure it gets you there. If time is money, a lift seems to be the way to go.

11. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever I need to go up an extension ladder, I put one of those spiral screw-in stakes in the ground close to the wall opposite the base of the ladder. Then I connect it to a rung about 5 feet up with a cargo strap and pull it as tight as I can get it. I still hate going up the thing but at least I'm sure it won't fall over.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

13. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the roofers come to my shop, and especially the time I went up on the roof with them to discuss various leaks, they did something somewhat similar. Usually two of them. One holds onto the ladder while the other climbs. Then at the top, they attached the ladder the gutter with I guess a heavy duty bungee cord.

If you search around, you might find some movable commercial thing for use in the roofing trade (where they often cannot get a lift into place.)

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My advice for an extensive job(siding) is to buy a cheap EPV/ cherry picker ...when you are finished sell it or scrap it.....here there is definite financial advantage ,as scaffolding/safety rail must the used over 2.4 m (8ft) high.......Its legal to privately use an out of inspection date machine,but illegal to work without rails ,restraints and scaffolding.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

as scaffolding/safety rail must the used over 2.4 m (8ft) high...
    Yes here in OZ its becoming more of a wank every year.
    Had a "phone tech" here other day to fix a broken above ground lead in cable. Cant climb on roof, cant do this that... well what can you actually do??

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a wonderful invention!
    Gives me some ideas for a bracket for my shop roof. No gutter, corrugated galvanized roofing.

Ladder safety is no joke, Tuesday I was trying to access the shop attic through the ceiling door.
    Was using an “A” frame ladder—you know—the ones that have a warning label “do not stand above this step”
    Let’s just say that my 71 year old carcass does not bounce well off concrete after an 8’ fall.
    Still waiting for the Radiologist’s report on how much damage I did to my back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good ideas here. Going from the ladder to the roof and especially coming down has always given me the willys. When working on the roof of the shop in the last few years I have put a large C-clamp on a a steel support and tied it with heavy rope to the ladder. Sure made it comfortable to go back and forth from the ladder and roof.
    Last time I was on the shop roof a helicopter was flying next door and they were shooting pigs from it, besides being comfortable up there I got a show.

19. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Rustgo......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jatt View Post
    Yes here in OZ its becoming more of a wank every year.
    Had a "phone tech" here other day to fix a broken above ground lead in cable. Cant climb on roof, cant do this that... well what can you actually do??
    The MD ( Company Pres in the USA ) at one place I worked at was a real bullshitter. He bought one of those old red British telephone boxes at an auction to put in the shop. It was for guys to use ( back before everybody had a cell phone ) and for overseas customers to pose for a photo in. Guys from the USA loved it !

It was my job to do it up, replace the broken glass, re-paint it etc. When it was finally sited we had to get British Telecom to come in and connect it to the existing phone system. We'd already placed it next to a junction box about 9 ft off the ground. I had my steps up the side of the box waiting.
    One day I get a call from reception - the BT guy is here and could I show him the job ? So I go and get the guy and show him the phone box.

As soon as he sees where the junction box is he starts sweating and he says - " The lousy fucking bastards, my first day back at work after 6 months since my accident and they want me to climb up there, the bastards ! "

I could see he was really agitated but I had to ask - " What was the accident ? "

It turns out that he been strapped on right at the top of a high wooden telephone pole doing a job when a really big truck/trailer that was two poles down was trying to reverse into a narrow space and it snagged a nearby pole. When the truck moved away again my pals pole vibrated like a plucked string ! He's on top, clinging on for grim death.

He said " It wouldn't have been so bad but the dozy fucking driver had three goes at getting past the pole and each time he snagged it and then moved around some more and shook the fucking pole ! I was really shaken up and when I finally got down I tried to bury myself in the ground. I've been off work with stress and anxiety since then !"

It took all I had for me not to burst out laughing.

Then he says " Fuck 'em I'm not doing a proper job ". With that he shot up the steps onto the top of the box, twisted the ends of the wires together, and shot back down again bathed in sweat !

Regards Tyrone.

22. Likes 4GSR, fusker, duckfarmer27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Rustgo......
    what's that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very good idea.

Do you use add-on handrails to ease the transition from roof to ladder and back again?

These are loops that attach to the top of extension ladders so you can hold on while transitioning. I've seen a few pros use them and it sure seems like a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't tried hand rails, but my concern would be they'd get in the way of any tools or supplies I was carrying and make it harder to get on/off the ladder. Maybe not.

I did find that extending the ladder so it's sticking about 3 feet above the gutter line helps greatly. That way, you can hold the ladder firmly with your hands before making the on/off transition.

In the past, I've had roofers lean their ladder against the gutter and sometimes that's OK, but sometimes it beats up the gutter too. With the spacers, the ladder force doesn't touch the gutter and is much less 'flexy'.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    what's that?
    Your googlefu not working today ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a roofer out to do an inspection of a roof. I had a ladder, but he wanted to use his own. No problem, I can understand. So it's up against the roof at the appropriate safe angle and he heads up. About two thirds of the way up the feet of the ladder start to slide out on wet leaves. It slid right out and he came down hanging on to the ladder. Bushes and more leaves cushioned the fall, but still. I still give him credit for going back at it and doing what he came to do. Didn't even go back to the truck for a change of shorts.

Meanwhile, on the ladder safety question, how are these guys doing?

tree-trimming.jpg

28. Likes jerholz, BoxcarPete, GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    I had a roofer out to do an inspection of a roof. I had a ladder, but he wanted to use his own. No problem, I can understand. So it's up against the roof at the appropriate safe angle and he heads up. About two thirds of the way up the feet of the ladder start to slide out on wet leaves. It slid right out and he came down hanging on to the ladder. Bushes and more leaves cushioned the fall, but still. I still give him credit for going back at it and doing what he came to do. Didn't even go back to the truck for a change of shorts.

Meanwhile, on the ladder safety question, how are these guys doing?

tree-trimming.jpg
    They are doing outstanding at proving they have beg stones.