What's new
What's new

Shop improvement...ladder safety 'tip'

GregSY

Diamond
This is nothing new, but I thought I'd mention it....whenever I need to get on the shop roof, I used to just use an extension ladder leaned against the gutter. But...I'm at an age where I'm still willing to go on the roof, but my willingness to fall 16 feet to solid Earth has waned considerably.

I made a quick 'ladder landing bar' out of some 1-1/4" SS angle and used 3/8" lag screws to attach it to the header the gutter attaches to. The header is a solid 2x8 board, and I used some SS spacers between the angle and header so the gutter itself sees no load. I then made some eyelets to allow me to securely ratchet strap the ladder in place.

On the ground, I backed up my Kubota tractor until the drawbar touches the ladder, then strapped it as well.

The result? The ladder is super-rigid...going up went from a shaky experience to one of pure confidence. Best of all, the transition from ladder-to-roof and back is no longer a tricky maneuver. Cheap, long lasting, and very effective.

ladder bay.jpg

That's pretty slick. I did something similar but not nearly as nice to the side of my sailboat. When it is on the ways I have to lean a ladder up against the rail to get on board. Scared the crap out of me a few times when the ladder started to slip sideways. I now tie the ladder to a cleat to keep it from sliding, but after seeing what you did, I'm sure I can come up with something a bit more elegant. Thanks.

Good idea. The transition from ladder to roof isn't too bad, it's the other way that can be dicey but by then you don't have a choice!

Actually your on to something Holmes.Same can be applied to backing your truck up close and personal so ladder does not slip,,,Thanks

Any good ideas for a ladder that has to be moved? I am going to put siding on my 100+ year old Victorian house, complete with a turret. 22' to the highest eve. For about a third of the way around I will have to work off a 4-12 pitch roof.

Whenever I need to go up an extension ladder, I put one of those spiral screw-in stakes in the ground close to the wall opposite the base of the ladder. Then I connect it to a rung about 5 feet up with a cargo strap and pull it as tight as I can get it. I still hate going up the thing but at least I'm sure it won't fall over.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

When the roofers come to my shop, and especially the time I went up on the roof with them to discuss various leaks, they did something somewhat similar. Usually two of them. One holds onto the ladder while the other climbs. Then at the top, they attached the ladder the gutter with I guess a heavy duty bungee cord.

If you search around, you might find some movable commercial thing for use in the roofing trade (where they often cannot get a lift into place.)

My advice for an extensive job(siding) is to buy a cheap EPV/ cherry picker ...when you are finished sell it or scrap it.....here there is definite financial advantage ,as scaffolding/safety rail must the used over 2.4 m (8ft) high.......Its legal to privately use an out of inspection date machine,but illegal to work without rails ,restraints and scaffolding.

as scaffolding/safety rail must the used over 2.4 m (8ft) high...

Yes here in OZ its becoming more of a wank every year.
Had a "phone tech" here other day to fix a broken above ground lead in cable. Cant climb on roof, cant do this that... well what can you actually do??

That is a wonderful invention!
Gives me some ideas for a bracket for my shop roof. No gutter, corrugated galvanized roofing.

Ladder safety is no joke, Tuesday I was trying to access the shop attic through the ceiling door.
Was using an “A” frame ladder—you know—the ones that have a warning label “do not stand above this step”
Let’s just say that my 71 year old carcass does not bounce well off concrete after an 8’ fall.
Still waiting for the Radiologist’s report on how much damage I did to my back.

Good ideas here. Going from the ladder to the roof and especially coming down has always given me the willys. When working on the roof of the shop in the last few years I have put a large C-clamp on a a steel support and tied it with heavy rope to the ladder. Sure made it comfortable to go back and forth from the ladder and roof.
Last time I was on the shop roof a helicopter was flying next door and they were shooting pigs from it, besides being comfortable up there I got a show.

Yes here in OZ its becoming more of a wank every year.
Had a "phone tech" here other day to fix a broken above ground lead in cable. Cant climb on roof, cant do this that... well what can you actually do??

The MD ( Company Pres in the USA ) at one place I worked at was a real bullshitter. He bought one of those old red British telephone boxes at an auction to put in the shop. It was for guys to use ( back before everybody had a cell phone ) and for overseas customers to pose for a photo in. Guys from the USA loved it !

It was my job to do it up, replace the broken glass, re-paint it etc. When it was finally sited we had to get British Telecom to come in and connect it to the existing phone system. We'd already placed it next to a junction box about 9 ft off the ground. I had my steps up the side of the box waiting.
One day I get a call from reception - the BT guy is here and could I show him the job ? So I go and get the guy and show him the phone box.

As soon as he sees where the junction box is he starts sweating and he says - " The lousy fucking bastards, my first day back at work after 6 months since my accident and they want me to climb up there, the bastards ! "

I could see he was really agitated but I had to ask - " What was the accident ? "

It turns out that he been strapped on right at the top of a high wooden telephone pole doing a job when a really big truck/trailer that was two poles down was trying to reverse into a narrow space and it snagged a nearby pole. When the truck moved away again my pals pole vibrated like a plucked string ! He's on top, clinging on for grim death.

He said " It wouldn't have been so bad but the dozy fucking driver had three goes at getting past the pole and each time he snagged it and then moved around some more and shook the fucking pole ! I was really shaken up and when I finally got down I tried to bury myself in the ground. I've been off work with stress and anxiety since then !"

It took all I had for me not to burst out laughing.

Then he says " Fuck 'em I'm not doing a proper job ". With that he shot up the steps onto the top of the box, twisted the ends of the wires together, and shot back down again bathed in sweat !

Regards Tyrone.

Very good idea.

Do you use add-on handrails to ease the transition from roof to ladder and back again?

These are loops that attach to the top of extension ladders so you can hold on while transitioning. I've seen a few pros use them and it sure seems like a good idea.

I haven't tried hand rails, but my concern would be they'd get in the way of any tools or supplies I was carrying and make it harder to get on/off the ladder. Maybe not.

I did find that extending the ladder so it's sticking about 3 feet above the gutter line helps greatly. That way, you can hold the ladder firmly with your hands before making the on/off transition.

In the past, I've had roofers lean their ladder against the gutter and sometimes that's OK, but sometimes it beats up the gutter too. With the spacers, the ladder force doesn't touch the gutter and is much less 'flexy'.

I had a roofer out to do an inspection of a roof. I had a ladder, but he wanted to use his own. No problem, I can understand. So it's up against the roof at the appropriate safe angle and he heads up. About two thirds of the way up the feet of the ladder start to slide out on wet leaves. It slid right out and he came down hanging on to the ladder. Bushes and more leaves cushioned the fall, but still. I still give him credit for going back at it and doing what he came to do. Didn't even go back to the truck for a change of shorts.

Meanwhile, on the ladder safety question, how are these guys doing?

tree trimming.jpg

I had a roofer out to do an inspection of a roof. I had a ladder, but he wanted to use his own. No problem, I can understand. So it's up against the roof at the appropriate safe angle and he heads up. About two thirds of the way up the feet of the ladder start to slide out on wet leaves. It slid right out and he came down hanging on to the ladder. Bushes and more leaves cushioned the fall, but still. I still give him credit for going back at it and doing what he came to do. Didn't even go back to the truck for a change of shorts.

Meanwhile, on the ladder safety question, how are these guys doing?

View attachment 315880

They are doing outstanding at proving they have beg stones.

Back