Shop Made Tool pics - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love this thread, so many ideas and now so many new projects. Here is one of mine.
    I was tapping some small holes on a part a while back, and broke the tap when I didn't get it started perfectly straight. I normally start these small taps in the mill, but had a setup on it that I didn't want disturbed. I tried to tap the part again , same result broken tap. I now had $35 in broken taps and a ruined part( I couldn't get the tap remnant out without messing it up and I was out of taps), time to call it a day.
    I remembered seeing a write-up in a magazine for a "Universal Pillar" tool that could be set up for tapping, so I dug up the magazine, and built one so I wouldn't have to struggle with this task ever again. It works great!!!!

pillar-tool-1.jpg

pillar-tool-2.jpg

pillar-tool-3.jpg

2. Likes Rstewart, Mcgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default That post really should go in the "kick ass home made stuff" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by gwilson View Post
    Great piece, McGyver. If CalG wants to live and think in a hum drum,artless work-a-day world,that is up to him. But,I think people with some imagination can do better.
    I can not help you if you choose not to read what is actually written.
    to refresh your recall.
    "Now if you have made something that "really does the job" and show the tool DOING the job. by all means post here under general. We are all interested in a better mousetrap."

Are you inspired to make knurling tool like the example? Get going! Post your pics. Or are you waiting for the need?.....

HEY! This enjoyable thread is posted in the "General" forum, It didn't require a dedicated "Kickass Homemade stuff" dedicated addition . Go figure!

Jeesh!
    Last edited by CalG; 01-20-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grump,grump,grump!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like

I designed and made this gage to find the three highest points in aluminum tubing. The problem was that the tubing as purchased was very close to finish size. If the high points were not found and chucked on, the tubing would often not clean up later in the process. The tolerance for the finished counterbore was +/- .001.

The material was placed on a bench and rolled with the gage inside and chucking points were quickly established.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so you rely on the pressue of the indicator to centre that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like

The bearings are always in the down position, and the indicator's roller is always up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this is crude but I admit I am a little proud of it. I made an offset mini spindle belt driven to go inside a 1.125" bore and cut this feature with a 1/8" EM. I have a 3 axis cnc knee mill, but no 4th axis so I use a manual rotary head to hold the sleeve horizontal. I cut the long length of the slot, program pauses, then rotate the head 17deg and cut the dog leg part of the slot. I was thrilled with how well this crude tool works.
    1-21-2015-11-21-25-am.jpgimg_2059.jpgphoto.jpgphoto_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

now thats cool!

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made an offset mini spindle belt driven to go inside a 1.125" bore and cut this feature
    That's really cool!

But who the heck designed the part.
    Is it some sort of cutter, or a clutch part?

Thanks,
    smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to give a BRAVO to RC Mech.
    I acquired several of his shop made Angle plates and they were exceptionally well made.
    Yes they arrived. They are in now in Sandy Point, Texas.
    A Very Good customer of mine is in oil transportation/pipeline work.
    He loved them. He said they 100% quality made.
    Thanks for that. Happy customers for me, are repeat customers (-:
    Works the same for everyone I assume. We need more of that to keep work here in North America !
    Job well done RC.
    2014_1204angle_plates0003.jpg

12. Likes Billtodd, crashtestdummy, RC Mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default End stop

image.jpg
    Heres a simple little gadget which is useful for repetition stuff. Used in conjunction with an indexing toolpost & carriage stop.
    It took not long to knock up, & gets used a lot!

14. Likes Billtodd, dazz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is another of the tools I have made. As infrequently as I need one, I couldn't justify buying a radius cutter for my lathe, so I made one. It will cut a 3" radius.

radius-turner-3-copy.jpg

radius-turner-2-copy.jpg

The first thing I used it for(Other than parts of itself)was to make replacements for the plastic ball handles on my small mill.
    001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the ingenuity and craftsmanship shown in the many ball turners but I'm puzzled: why not just rotate the compound to cut a radius ?

Oops, I just remembered the last time I did that - I had to remove the QC toolpost and install an Armstrong toolpost to set the radius properly. But it really only took a couple of minutes .... really,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FabChipCNC View Post
    I would like to give a BRAVO to RC Mech.
    I acquired several of his shop made Angle plates and they were exceptionally well made.
    Yes they arrived. They are in now in Sandy Point, Texas.
    A Very Good customer of mine is in oil transportation/pipeline work.
    He loved them. He said they 100% quality made.
    Thanks for that. Happy customers for me, are repeat customers (-:
    Works the same for everyone I assume. We need more of that to keep work here in North America !
    Job well done RC.
    That's fantastic, thank you! Looking through these posts, I was admiring the indicator holders, small fixtures and turning tools.

It must have been to such an extent that I forgot that those angle plates were indeed "shop made", and are tools, albeit larger than Bridgeports.

2014_1204angle_plates0004.jpg

^And nice radius tool Tool Junkie- integrated dovetail, I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Woodworking Tool

Most of us do woodworking too so I guess this is fair.

Shop-made radial router (using an American made 1-1/2 hp DeWalt) installed on the end of the long radial arm saw table. Real handy for shelving (making the cross mortises on the uprights). The router can be locked in place on the rails so that work can be fed longitudinally along the radial saw table under it for producing l-o-n-g grooves. Couple of hours fun work and some scrap ...

This rig can also be used on aluminum, by the way ! Noisy and (painfully hot) chips flying all over the place -

It's not easily visible but the router sled is running on oilite bushings, a pair on each rail. I spent a lot of time making a tool to line-ream each pair so that the router would slide along the rails easily.
    Last edited by randyc; 01-22-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: bad, vad spelling

19. Likes crashtestdummy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I like the ingenuity and craftsmanship shown in the many ball turners but I'm puzzled: why not just rotate the compound to cut a radius ?

Oops, I just remembered the last time I did that - I had to remove the QC toolpost and install an Armstrong toolpost to set the radius properly. But it really only took a couple of minutes .... really,
    On my lathe, the pivot point for the compound is too far back from the tool post slot. With the compound all the way out it would only allow a .5 " radius ball. I have cut concave curves this way, though I am going to make attachments for the radius cutter to do those with it also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One more. This is a 32 ton rolling head press I built, mostly from rems almost twenty years ago. I think I ended up with $180 involved in it.

002.jpgs

22. Likes crashtestdummy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Stupidly Simple Rotary Broach

Definitely not for production but for limited quantities, works fine. Give the ball a shot of wheel bearing grease occasionally ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone has done this, I'm sure, although it's not really a tool. Rather than remove the 4-jaw and install the collet system, I chucked up an ER-40 collet holder for a short run.

25. Likes Jashley73, crashtestdummy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tool Junkie View Post
    On my lathe, the pivot point for the compound is too far back from the tool post slot. With the compound all the way out it would only allow a .5 " radius ball. I have cut concave curves this way, though I am going to make attachments for the radius cutter to do those with it also.
    I can dig that with a typical QC toolpost but can't you use a lantern toolpost and Armstrong cutting tool holder to reduce that radius to zero ? (I mention this because that's what it takes to make small radii on my old Sheldon. I have to 'fess up, however, that it IS a pain to set the compound/toolpost to get a precise radius.)

I hasten to add that I have nothing against ball turners and there are some nice ones shown here

Another way to make balls: vertical mill + rotab as shown in this photo. A hole saw is shown in the photo but a boring head would normally be used ... easy to obtain a precise diameter.

Last edited by randyc; 01-21-2015 at 11:20 PM.

27. Likes crashtestdummy, gwilson, zoeper liked this post