What's new
What's new

Shop made tools

ace940

Plastic
Why is there not a home made tooling section for people to show off their badass homemade stuff. And inspire others to make similar items.

Take it to the HSM forum, there is a thread there for those interested or in need of inspiration..

Now if you have made something that "really does the job" and show the tool DOING the job. by all means post here under general. We are all interested in a better mousetrap. Myself, I just don't like shiny trinkets and those who need a pat on the back while showing off some shiny machine without a chip (or $$ made) anywhere in sight ;-))

cheers

How about a big old slotter bar. Don't see them down at the machine shop supply.

(box in rear houses a 0-12 depth mic)

Attachments

• P1000390.jpg
    P1000390.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,599
Take it to the HSM forum, there is a thread there for those interested or in need of inspiration..

cheers

Yes indeed, because as we all know, any "professional" shop never has a need to fabricate/grind/or machine a special tool to overcome a particular job, much easier to push the boss' ATM belly button and he'll just cough up the money to go buy something off the shelf, or if that's not possible, farm it out to another company to make it. Off you go there laddie, make room for the real men to discuss real machining shit, like whether you counter-steer on your bicycle on the way to run one of them See and See thingies.

Here is an insert endmill that I made special for a job. I didnt have an endmill long enough so I made this one. It is about 12" long and has 2" drive. I made this on an old Hurco KMB1 cnc mill with a manual dividing head. I just programmed stops where I had to manually index the dividing head.

Attachments

• insert endmill.jpg
    insert endmill.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,108
had to make this fly cutter because they didnt want to send a plate out to grind. can cut 7" across. leaves a nice finish running at 500 rpm.

Attachments

• fly cutter.jpg
    fly cutter.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,164
How about homemade machines? Maybe this one don't count, since I designed it in Houston but we had it built in Detroit where the photos were taken - about 30 years ago.
Impressive as hell, John. The welding fabrication along reflects considerable skill - and that's before you've added ways, drives, and such. Very cool.

Apparently, a spiral mill puts a spiral groove or cut into round stock. What are spirally grooved rounds used for?

A project that has been in my head for a while and finally made it into reality. As far as I have seen nothing like this exactly out on the market so I made it. I have a "rotogrind" unit that I don't really like. Slow and underpowered. This works better for me. I am aware that various makers have made and still do make dedicated rotary surface grinders but this gives me a lot of flexibility and I had the mag chuck and bearings surplus so this did not cost me much to make. Just time

Motorized rotary grinding spindle for surface grinder.

2 7018 angular contact bearings
housing cast iron
shaft 8620 hardened
10 inch fine pole round Suburban Tool Mag chuck
Baldor DC speed control

The idea is to buy another surface grinder and mount it on there permanently. For now I just throw it up on my mag chuck and it does a fine job. For grinding certain types of parts these setups are great.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 947
  • 2015-01-02 16.10.37.jpg
    2015-01-02 16.10.37.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 677
  • 2014-12-16 15.40.14.jpg
    2014-12-16 15.40.14.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 645
  • 2014-12-16 15.16.42.jpg
    2014-12-16 15.16.42.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 548
  • 2014-12-16 09.58.54.jpg
    2014-12-16 09.58.54.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 568
How about homemade machines? Maybe this one don't count, since I designed it in Houston but we had it built in Detroit where the photos were taken - about 30 years ago.

Spiral Mill Photos by johnoder | Photobucket

Guess the definition all depends on where "home" is. If home is the shop floor in DE-troit, then by golly, that's a home-made machine...

Impressive piece of machine building. Looks infinitely adjustable pretty much everywhere. It has a look that screams "NOT Rube Goldberg". Is this for roughing out 8" dia. extra-long twist drills?

Back