What's new
What's new

Shop Vac Hose Attachment

Kevin T

Stainless
I use a shop vac constantly and had adapted a plastic cone to get a little more velocity from the end and make lathe clean ups more efficient. It was a knitting yarn spool with about a 2" OD on the big end...perfect. Only over time I have stepped on it too many times and it's broken. Ideally it would be something out of aluminum or much more durable plastic. Does anyone know of a cone shaped "anything" that I can adapt for this purpose?

P1080001002.jpg

P1080002001.jpg

How about some vacuum attachments? Unless your time is free and you have lots of it for running around, you're probably better off buying something available than finding another "something" to make another attachment out of.

A crevice tool Access Denied

Or an assortment of pieces including what appears to be a conical one. Access Denied

How about some vacuum attachments? Unless your time is free and you have lots of it for running around, you're probably better off buying something available than finding another "something" to make another attachment out of.

Or an assortment of pieces including what appears to be a conical one. Access Denied

Thanks I'll look again but I am using a non standard hose. I wish I knew what it was...maybe a pool vacuum hose? it has a 2 inch diameter end fitting. I didn't find anything with the same diameter at the end when I went the vacuum attachment route.

HA went to your link and see this DEVO looking one popped up! I'll try this unless someone knows of a metallic equivalent..

40992932.jpg

Thanks I'll look again but I am using a non standard hose. I wish I knew what it was...maybe a pool vacuum hose? I didn't find anything with the same diameter at the end when I went the vacuum attachment route.

If you can find an attachment that uses a larger hose, turn a bushing out of black abs pipe fitting, might have to find someone with a lathe to turn it:D

If you can find an attachment that uses a larger hose, turn a bushing out of black abs pipe fitting, might have to find someone with a lathe to turn it:D

LOL Maybe I'll shop it out? I've got a RFQ form around here somewhere.... hmmmm....

good idea though thanks!

Seems silly looking back through his thread already...but I was hoping that someone might say, "Oh I've got just the thing, it looks just like the whammer jammer that goes on the end of that super cheap plastic toy"....or something like that.

Pro Tip: Don't ever buy anything from a yarn/knitting supply house. You will receive no end of spam mail from them! Ask me how I know.

The fitting end of your green bit doesn't look cracked.

Cut off and save the good part. Then pretty easy to find a cone and epoxy that bit inside.

Conical suspects?

- Tailpipe trim to expand the normal pipe larger to improve one's testosterone levels. You reverse it and glue in place. Hard to crush.

- Regular flexible cone as used for traffic and sports. Cut off the tip at the appropriate diameter and glue in place. Also easy enough to freehand a conical bushing for it out of wood our plastic on a lathe. It won't care if you step on the end.

- Not that hard to roll a cone out of sheet metal and pop rivet the seam.

- PVC pipe fittings reduced to whatever diameter you want. As dalmatiangirl said, the stuff machines easily if you need to open it up a bit.

- Any number of actual vac tools. I have seen cone types for various vacs.

Thanks I'll look again but I am using a non standard hose. I wish I knew what it was...maybe a pool vacuum hose? it has a 2 inch diameter end fitting. I didn't find anything with the same diameter at the end when I went the vacuum attachment route.

Well, perhaps do a search for "pool vaccuum attachments" and see what shows up. Likely somewhere will say what size hose they fit.

In the meantime, perhaps clean the cracks with isopropyl alcohol and use something like Loctite vinyl, plastic, and fabric adhesive and then tape with something like gaffer's tape.

This is a good suggestion. I made a number of adapters for my shop vac from ABS years ago, and they've held up perfectly while exposed to large quantities of oil and coolant.

Fix the one you've got. Try dental acrylic, which you can pretty much paint on. Sticks to damn near everything and hardens like a landlord's heart. The initial buy-in (at least 30 years ago) was about $100, but I'm still using the original set-up. Very handy for a variety of projects.

Might be able to seal up the cracks satisfactorily with UV-curing glue. Maybe a layer of glue-lined heat shrink tubing on top for reinforcement.

Just roll a cone from aluminum sheet metal. Caulk and pop rivit if you can't weld it up.

I punted and ordered a new hose and the DEVO cone! I may have to employ some of the great suggestions in here if the fit isn't correct. My hose was also cracked in a few places and allowing oil and cutting fluids to leak out so...

:cheers:

Look at rockler. They have alot of hoses and fittings. Oneida Air Systems sells the viper scraper which is basicall a nozzel with a carbide scraper blade. This may provide the size you need. Unfortunately vac hoses and cuffs sizes are all over the place. Fyi. I work for oneida-air

I had hired a twenty-something that has a hobby 3d printer. He printed up a vacuum nozzle for a barrel vacuum we're using.

Back