What's new
What's new

"Short" MT5 taper?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Found out my Sheldon has a "short" MT5 taper in the spindle.
The MT5 dead center I bought sticks out about a mile from the spindle...

Anyone know of a source for one of these commercially, haven't been able to find one?

I was going to cut this one back on the bandsaw and turn a new center on it (assuming it's not hardened), but I'd rather just buy one if such an animal exists. Even an adapter to MT2 or MT3 would be just as good.

Some of the 'short' MT5s you may find will still be too long for your Sheldon (I have a Sheldon too). Most are not hardened, and you'll probably be saving time and frustration to just turn down the one you have.

Get a mt 5 to mt 4 adptr, insert the mt5 into the lathe and mark,and see how much to cut down, then cut the mt 5 tapor until it is a little proud of the spindle, and use a #4 center ...Phil

Get a mt 5 to mt 4 adptr, insert the mt5 into the lathe and mark,and see how much to cut down, then cut the mt 5 tapor until it is a little proud of the spindle, and use a #4 center ...Phil

^^
Thanks. Like that idea- you're sure there'll be enough purchase left for the center, after cutting back the adapter that much?

Lathe companies (I have a Clausing 5900) typically provided with the new lathe a reducing sleeve with the short 5 MT outside and a 3 MT inside, along with a 3 MT standard carbon steel center. Those sleeves should interchange between lathe brands if the short 5 MT was standardized.

If you are turning between centers, you can put a piece of steel bar in your 3 or 4 jaw chuck and turn a 60 degree taper on it. Your lathe dog will be driven by one of the chuck jaws. If you take the center or chuck off the lathe, turn the point again before your next between centers job.

Larry

I believe my Harrison M300 has that taper as well. Supposed to come with a mt3 adapter from the factory. I think I got one with the lathe when I bought it used.
The 600 group is still making that lathe so I am sure they will sell you an adapter for a small fortune.
Bil lD.

thats a good table, usually the 4.5 is not listed. so the angle is different and there should be some wiggle, right?

I have a Sheldon MW-56-P. I have an MT5 center, but have never used it. I usually just chuck up a piece of round stock, cut a center, and use a lathe dog against one of the chuck jaws.

I've installed the MT5 in the spindle (just to be sure it fit) and did noticed it sticks out quite a distance from the spindle nose. I haven't measured the distance since I haven't used the center for any work. What would be the optimal distance for the center to protrude? Secondly , is there any problem using a standard length center if you use a bent leg lathe dog with a leg long enough to reach the slot in the dog plate?

unless you just cut down or turn one as needed the best option would be to contact Miller for a short Mt5 reducing sleeve.
the sleeve will last a day or two short of forever.
dead centers are consumables.

I've owned two different Sheldon lathes over the past 40 years. Haven't yet had a need to run anything between centers on the lathe. Collet setup, yes. I do have the proper collet adapter for the head stock spindle. Don't use it often, is handy when you need it. Ken

Just to make things more complicated, there are different “short MT5”s. From what I can tell, Sheldon used the small end of the #5, and LeBlond (and some others including my Italian MAS) used the large end for their short #5.

Thanks again.
Going to order an MT5 to MT2 adapter (tailstock is MT2)- cheap enough- and see if there's enough left to hold a center rigidly enough after I cut/face it back to minimal protrusion from the spindle.

Know all about turning a sacrificial one in the chuck and have done it before, but the closer I can get to the spindle, the better if I need that extra length between centers.

you will still be cutting down the MT2 center by quite a bit.
doable...but just so you know.

easy to estimate how much of the front end of the MT5 reducer you will lose just by looking at how far your MT5 center sticks out.

how much you cut off the reducing sleeve will be approx how much you will have to cut down the MT2 centers...be left with kind of a MT2 "stump"

Back