What's new
What's new

Quality Of This Lathe Please..

Sawyer Rob

Aluminum
Hi, i've been reading here a long time, but this is my first post.

I'm wondering if you can tell me about this lathe, how good of quality it is and assumeing it's in good shape what it's worth... (i'm not selling it)

picture.JPG

It came out of a working shop and my first job will be to give it a good cleaning.

picture.JPG

This tub with tooling came with it.... I don't even know what some of the tooling is, as when it comes to lathes i'm a newby.

picture.JPG

I'm going to power it with a rotary phase converter, as i don't have 3 phase in my shop.

Anyway, thanks for any help you may have, and thanks for all the great info i've found here in the past!

Rob

Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with that lathe but I wouldn't mind having it in my shop. The part at the bottom is a collet closer, probably for 5c collets. It fits thru the spindle and is not cheap to buy. The upper part appears to be a taper attachment, also not cheap. The round part to the right is an adapter for the spindle for the collets.

There are about a zillion of them out there. It's a very decent lathe.

http://www.lagun.com/history.html

Of course the condition is the important thing. If it's clapped out, it hardly matters who made it.

Republic Lagun is alive and well, so parts *should* be available.

Sawyer Rob,
Welcome aboard.
A whole bunch of us started with a lot less lathe than that in our personal shops.

Modern, good size, taper attachment, collet closer and four position tool holder. Looks like it was taken care of to boot.

Add to that that it was made by a European company that is still very much in business, maintains a good stock of replacement parts in the US and is well regarded. That would be tough to beat as a first lathe.

Now tell us that you got it for practically nothing and we're all going to hate you right off the bat. :D

Seriously, keep us posted on setting it up and getting it powered. Like you, I lurked here a long time before I joined, so you already know that there is a very deep well of diversified knowledge and willing guidence to be found here, enjoy!

Bob

Thanks guys for the info... When i first looked at the lathe there was two tubs of tooling and when i went to get it there was only one. The warehouse dude showed me that the second tub went with a mill they also have there... I looked it over better and it was obvious it did go with the mill.

I got the lathe from a friend who is a machinery dealer in HUGE hydraulic press' that they buy/rebuild and resell. He is building a 30'x60' "cottage" that's a timberframe barn and he's always after me to do something on it. Mostly i say no, but this time the carrot he was dangleing was this lathe.

So, here's what i paid... I agreed to saw out of his woodlot 8 trees, bring them to my place and saw them up on my bandsawmill. I wouldn't take the lathe untill i had some of the tree's sawn, and with that done i'm now waiting on a materials list to saw the rest.

Before this "cottage" is done, he's going to owe me, so i'm thinking about what else i can get from him.

Here's a link to SOME PICTURES of the first round of sawing i did...

Many years ago i had a raged out 9x24 south bend but i never learned anything about it and sold it to a friend who knew how to rebuild it and give it the TLC it needed.

I have a lot to learn and it looks like i found a good starting point right here! Thanks again for the nice welcome and info...

Rob

The lathe doesn't go slow enough for work of and larger diameter.You might consider getting a VFD unit so you can put the lathe onto the 85 rpm,and dial in a slower rpm for doing larger work,especially things made out of cast iron.Cast iron needs to be turned slow,or it will take the edge right off your tools.You could possibly make a pulley arrangement to cut the speed in half.Many new lathes do not go slow enough.Even 42.5 isn't very slow.The VFD is the best option.

I think your friend got one hell of a deal!
I'd like to think we both got a good deal, as i'm sure he had very little into the lathe, and i'll have very little "out of pocket" expense into the logging and sawing and of course he is my friend.

I haven't seen anyone tell me "about" what the lathe and tooling is worth???

I'd have gladly logged and sawn the tree's he has for way less than $1,000.00, and i figure the lathe is worth a heck of a lot more than a few hundred dollars, at least it is to me.

Rob

Sawyer Rob,
Glad you are here. :D That is a good looking lathe. Appears to be clean and well cared for. I really can't see or tell any wear from the pics. Should be a great startin'-out-with lathe. Wish my lathes were that clean when I got them. They're almost ready to run and still not as clean as yours. :D

Keep us posted,

JAckal

Nobody seems to want to give you a value of your lathe. I have had a couple lathes of that size and style , made in Taiwan but I would guess between $1000 and $2000 is a ballpark figure as long as it cuts true and everything works.It is a handy size lathe as long as you don't need to hog a bunch of SS. I like your sawmill. Jim

Lagun is terrible on parts. They charge a fortune, then get your order wrong and charge you to return the parts. it's more cost effective to make the parts yourself.

Gee the pictures disappeared after only 14 years? maybe once it is on the internet it is always out there is not really true 14 years later?
Bill D

Back