Shoulder vacuum plus router speed controller
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shoulder vacuum plus router speed controller

I read the threads about possible issues with cooling etc as the result of using router controller to reduce power of the vacuum. My situation is a bit different. I am using a shoulder vacuum (Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Vacuum, C2401)as air extractor for blasting cabinet and it is too powerful. Should i expect any issues from using router speed controller to slow down a shoulder vacuum for extraction use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best way to regulate vacuum is to create an adjustable 'leak' in the suction hose just outside the cabinet, typically done by cutting one or more holes in a ring around a rigid piece of tubing and putting a slip-fit ring around that with a matching hole pattern. You twist the ring to open or close the leak as desired. This way, the motor runs at normal speed with full airflow for cooling. Some home vacuums (like the Shark) come with this setup from the factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Need more info. What shoulder? Lefty or Righty?
    WTF! Home vacuum cleaner on a blast cabinet? What is the reason it is too powerful? Using a hair dryer to blast?

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    WTF! Home vacuum cleaner on a blast cabinet?. . .
    There are many variations of 'blast cabinet'. Some special-purpose units aren't much bigger than a toaster. The OP is there, knows what he wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some BLAST cabinets are the size of my underwear but I have no issues "regulating" it. Some people down stream may have issues Seriously, if you are "Blasting" into a toaster then you should have some idea of WTF is going on. Maybe a good question for the zone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scruffy, I respectfully disagree. We don't know enough yet to make a judgment on what the OP is up to.

But perhaps my view is biased by the fact that the person who taught me to machine, still the best machinist I know, spent most of his career as the fix-anything-right-now machinist at a major tire manufacturer. Oddly, when thousands of dollars a minute are at stake, this professional machinist did not bother too much with whether or not something came from Graingers or KMart, nor did his employer. He fixed whatever it was, making whatever was needed from whatever was at hand, and generally it stayed fixed. Yes, a different type of machining than a CNC job shop, or some such - but no less a professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

give it a little time
    the blast debris will eat the guts on your vac and lose power soon enough.
    the controlled leak is the answer though
    punch a hole with a little swing gate.

9. Likes adama liked this post