What's new
What's new

Show me your storage solution for collet pads

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
So we went and got everything sorted out for our S20 collet nose and I lucked into a bulk purchase of collet pads that cover most all of the normal nominal sizes. What few we do not now have, I can fill in when the mood strikes. However, this leaves us with a new conundrum - How to store a butt load of collet pads.

So how are you storing your collet pads? I don't want to just lump them all in a pile within a drawer, but don't particularly feel the need to spend gobs of money for some hipster new age whiz bang shiny widget, either. I know we can purchase tubes, a'la Hardinge, but I don't feel like cutting lengths of thin plastic tube unless I have to. I'm sure there is some hi speed, low drag, low tech, efficient way to store these that I am not "seeing".

So how are you guys doing it?

Thanks.

For those that don't use them but might otherwise have some good ideas, this is what they look like -

S16round_400.jpg
41-Sets-Of-Assorted-Hardinge-S20-Collet-Pads.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I got some little boxes from Rose Plastic. I think they call them Unibox. Shown here is an S20 Set in one of the boxes. I think I had to order 40 or 50 of them. I started off looking for the little screw together plastic enclosures like face mills come in and other sorts of things. There is a lot out there that would be ideal but most of it needs to be ordered in high quantities.

IMG_0092.jpg

A long time ago I organized a bunch of these, as well as some 16C lathe collets. I cut up some PVC pipe, epoxied them into a honeycomb and put that into a drawer.

Along the side of the road....Garbage night on my travels, was a
set of drawers for hollerith cards, you know, 3" x 6" and 2 drawers
wide per level, maybe 10 drawers high.

Center divider in each, collet pads in front, feed finger pads in back.
Smooth & coarse pads in same compartment, easy to see the diff.

I made this about 4 years ago, need to make about 2-3 more of them but mainly for collets 5c 16c r8's are in a file type cabinet , out of alum with through holes.
my 20cs right now are scattered in a , my big miyano collets are the same way.

after making this one I see were I should have added more so a redesign is in the process when I have time. I still have tons of collets in box's like for the citizen both live tool collets and head and slider colletse.
the shelves are angle iron welded to accept 2x4 foot sheets of anything (I like partical board) this one in the picture is some plastic I had laying around.
think because of how many I have I am going to make some angled shelves to hold the collets then the tool holders below. like for the mills and for the lathes.
as long as I put every thing up LOL I can find it quick

IMG_2117a.jpg

I bought 2 sets of W&S pads, different sizes, at 2 different auctions. Both were on wood boards. Someone bored holes in a piece of plywood to fit the ODs, then screwed that piece to a second piece of plywood the same width and height to make shallow pockets to hold the pad sets.

I'm not sure about the diameter of those collet pads, but I have been using empty Rx plastic bottles to store a lot of things. They come in a variety of sizes and, at my age, I have bags of them left over from my Rxs. I cut the locking device off the bottle with a pair of flush wire cutters and print round, circular labels for the tops. I put them on the shelf in cardboard bins. This photo shows some wood screws being stored this way.

attachment.php

They seem to be resistant to oils and solvents so you can put the pads away with a coat of oil. They will stay clean in the pill bottles. If you are not yet a pill-a-holic like me, just heck out your local pharmacy or

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=prescrip...=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_99cvursj98_b

Or PM me with dimensions and how many you need and I will send you a box of them for shipping cost.

No ideas for S20 collet pad storage, but I make custom jaws for my 3-jaw chucks to hold the S20’s.

Makes for quick setup and changeover on the lathes that have 3-jaw chucks mounted.

Commercial S20-type jaws are not available....as far as I have researched.

Yes, the W&S-type jaws are available from US Shop tools and such, but I’ve never seen ones for the S-series pads.

Not sure why? Don’t think it is patents, as I have seen commercial milling-vice jaws that hold the S20 pads.

Product line for some energetic entrepreneur...???

ToolCat

Our shop uses two solutions, both keeping the pads in their original cardboard boxes. One is a pigeonhole system, with wood vertical supports and sheet metal shelves the other is a big wood box on top of the associated workbench, sized to just fit 30 collet pad sets in their boxes.

HTH,
M

20190213_074550_ed.jpg

1 Drawer in a Vidmar with dividers works really well.

Positively agreed! Only reason it's not a Vidmar or similar is because I have not picked any up, yet. Holding off until after the move. However, my OCD would force me to do similar simply because I cannot abide them doing anything other than standing on end, in the same circle as when they are used. LOL. Many times I am my own worst enemy.

All our collets(5C ,Mega E ,Baby collets, T100 ect...) are in laser cut stands with holes sized so the collet fits just over halfway down and in rows clearly marked same as many above (only in ss rather than wood), my home shop is going to have the same except with 1/4-1/2 UHMW sheets in drawers so I can clean easily (another ocd patient). Same setup would be ideal for the S20's as well to keep the shape and size very easily and quickly seen. The Rx bottles look nice also for keeping clean and oiled for rust prevention , may use those for the higher $ collets .

"No ideas for S20 collet pad storage, but I make custom jaws for my 3-jaw chucks to hold the S20’s.

Makes for quick setup and changeover on the lathes that have 3-jaw chucks mounted.

Yes, the W&S-type jaws are available from US Shop tools and such, but I’ve never seen ones for the S-series pads.

Not sure why? Don’t think it is patents, as I have seen commercial milling-vice jaws that hold the S20 pads.

Product line for some energetic entrepreneur...???"

I'm still working on my storage solution but I will pass this on

471 > S20 adapter

My mentor had made this set and passed them on to me when their shop stopped using collet pads

Attachments

• s20 adapter.jpg
    s20 adapter.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 118
No ideas for S20 collet pad storage, but I make custom jaws for my 3-jaw chucks to hold the S20’s.

Product line for some energetic entrepreneur...???

ToolCat

Actually I just bought a set and put them on today for S20 collet pads. I bought them from Industrial Sales of Oakland. Thats where I buy most of my S series collet pads.

Back