Signing in then getting bumped from PM in a matter of minutes
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Signing in then getting bumped from PM in a matter of minutes

For the past week anytime I sign in then try to post on a topic I find I have been bumped off, have to copy my reply, sign in again, then paste quickly before getting bumped off? Is there a fix for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's new to me. Try a different browser, or delete any cookies etc. relating to PM and try again?

Did your browser update recently? Might be a bug...

3. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It started after clearing cookies and cache last week, and deleting a few non-used programs that came installed on computer. Browser is google chrome. Oddly, now that I said something, its not bumping me off?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Firefox works better than chrome for me, a few weeks ago chrome quit letting me post pics too.

6. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Firefox works better than chrome for me, a few weeks ago chrome quit letting me post pics too.
    FF is my usual browse, and it's been stable for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i use five different browsers. if one doesnt work properly i change to another one. i put my bookmarks on a stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Possibly clear temp files and history. I use FF.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    For the past week anytime I sign in then try to post on a topic I find I have been bumped off, have to copy my reply, sign in again, then paste quickly before getting bumped off? Is there a fix for this?
    This will happen if you have a really slow connection. Site checks to see if you are still connected, reply takes too long to come back, boom it disconnects you.

Sometimes doesn't even have to be that slow, a site can be set up with too short of a timeout. Or it can be on the site end, their server is overloaded so it doesn't register that your browser replied back in time.

Lots of possible causes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    It started after clearing cookies and cache last week, and deleting a few non-used programs that came installed on computer. Browser is google chrome. Oddly, now that I said something, its not bumping me off?
    My case, it is a dodgy RJ socket on the Gig-E CAT5.

Simple s**t, yah?

I needed a new laptop, anyway ... it's time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm on windows 10 (whatever comes with that - computer numpty here) and sometimes it drops me and sometimes it doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Firefox with Windows 7 Pro. The only thing that happens to me is I get a data base error page, sometimes it will happen multiple times a day, then not again for weeks, this is the only website that happens on, and of all the websites I visit this one is the most problematic of all of them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I use Firefox with Windows 7 Pro. The only thing that happens to me is I get a data base error page, sometimes it will happen multiple times a day, then not again for weeks, this is the only website that happens on, and of all the websites I visit this one is the most problematic of all of them.
    The Firefox build for OpenBSD is a disaster snailing. Keeps tying to do illegal s**t.

OpenBSD not being your average "catch-me-f**k-me" OS prevents those unauthorized excursions. Now and then if FearF*x is rude "enough", OpenBSD simply terminates it, drops a core dump, and wanders on down the hallway to attend to better-behaved children.

That said, heavily tweaked for PM AND NO OTHER website. At all?
    It works for me.

The PM database:

- EVERY day around 7 AM Eastern MUST run a critical maintenance suite. You WILL see that if active, not passive at that time, but only for 5 to 10 minutes.

MOST days... there will be one or more MINOR (or so we may HOPE they are "minor"!) DB admin procedures being addressed. Usually, "human involved" as they are, those occur during normal business hours.

They are not otherwise predictable.

"Be happy", please.

PM selected "VB" to power the website. VB actually works better than it has any RIGHT to work, given it is built in "php" AND atop the WRONG choice of RDBMS (hobbyist-class MySQL+InnoDB) for the type of work it has to do.

Only if/as/when VB migrate to PostgreSQL will these issues diminish.

Not because PG does not have to do the same sort of maintenance.

PG is a professional-grade, or "industrial strength" OBJECT - Relational Database Management System. PG actually does a great deal MORE maintenance than poverty-biscuits and peanut-butter-jelly-samwidge MySQL+InnoDB even understands.

It just does it internally, seamlessly, and automagically so it is not "in your face" about its housekeeping duties. A full dozen years on its own without need of human intevention is not unusual for a PG install. PG knows it s**t.

VB, OTOH? It ain't never going to change. The devel team simply ain't that smart. Or they wuddna got it wrong in the first place.

PostgreSQL being Free/Libre Open Source Software, fully "drop-in" capable, and nary any COST for its goodness? WISER devels have been making the wiser choice for ages. Including moving off SlowLarry's Oral-clay and IBM's DB2.

PostgreSQL / Ingres are just that good. "Heavy lifter" class ORDBMS.

Won't matter. VB ain't moving. Not that smart.

So PM will have to "Run what we got!"

As with the proverbial dancing Bear?

The marvel of it isn't that it works well.. but that it works AT ALL!