Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a lift cart from HF. Love it. It goes from 9" high to tailgate height. I us it for getting vises &n indexers to my BP. I also have an old Skyhook that I have been using more recently. Skyhook is a pita having to mount it on the mill each time I want to use it. I do like the control I have lowering the load plus the ability to clean the bottom of the vise or indexer. It was also a pita wrestling the vise or indexer from the lift cart onto the mill table without banging the keys on the table. On the other hand the lift cart is great for moving my heavy bench and surface plate stand around the shop.

My brother was lucky enough to find a Hoyer lift at an auction. Wish I had it.

Those suggesting an overhead beam and trolley are right. It is the best way to go. Wish I could but the pole building I rent does not provide the strength to hold the beam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Illinoyance wrote: "...the pole building I rent does not provide the strength to hold the beam."

Well, your Bridgeport could hold up one end of a beam. An A-frame could hold the other, on straight casters, so it could pivot around the mill in a 6' radius circle, for instance. Pivot wherever you need it, and park it wherever there's room.

Keep an eye out on craigslist for your Hoyer lift. That gear gets shuffled from family to family as it's needed... There's one on IL area CL right now, but it's $600, which is way, way expensive for a used manual one.

Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kind of in the same situation...can't lift the heavy stuff anymore. No way to install an overhead lift. Am thinking about a 1500# lift table that goes from 9" to 39". Then add a second deck about a foot above the table. That would allow storage and slide-off transfer capability to mill table for a 4th axis head, and several vices and fixtures. Funds not available 'til June. Then I'll get serious.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's another crane-like option. Slides into a 2" receiver trailer hitch. Folds up nicely when unused. You could probably mount a pickup truck hitch 'box' to t-slots, but I'd add a plate to spread the base out a little.

Spitz lift

Or use the specs/dimensions to roll your own.

Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had a HF 1,000 lb. hydraulic table for going on 15 years and love it. It wasn't my first choice, but I needed one in a hurry and no one in town had any in stock other than HF. Over the years I've used it to lift everything from an end loader bucket, to vices, indexers, rotary tables and even stock into the saws.

Even though I'm strong enough to lift the tooling I'm too short to get it to the table. A former colleague suggested I try wearing high heel shoes. I tried them once, but then I suffered from nose bleeds because of the height, and endless cat calls from the other guys in the shop. To avoid further embarrassment in my own shop I now just use the hydraulic cart. I liked the first one so much I bought a second one.

6. Likes pmack liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy a cheapo engine hoist, unbolt the rear wheels and lower with a piece of angle. Cut front wheels off, slide into end of tube then weld to lower front. Cut bottom legs on an angle, flip, then weld so it will go between the leveling feet for your mill. We made a little attachment for ours so we could pull the 5 ax trunnion easily. I've never attached an image, so we will see how it goes.

20160420_183111.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Upside down, now I look like a shmuck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Here's another crane-like option. Slides into a 2" receiver trailer hitch. Folds up nicely when unused. You could probably mount a pickup truck hitch 'box' to t-slots, but I'd add a plate to spread the base out a little.

Spitz lift

Or use the specs/dimensions to roll your own.

Chip
    Well, I should have bought that one, because now I'm in need of a lightweight, (aluminum) crane good for 1K at about 3'. And cheap -- cheaper than new build/cheaper than buying a new one. Anyone have a Spitz crane sitting around not earning its keep?

Going to be trailer-mounted for 700 lb. single-handed load. Would like to remove when not in use, so the 140 lb. Harbor Fright versions are less than appealing...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The hydraulic tables are really nice. I bought one about five years ago and use it all the time. I don't like working on my knees on much since I have gotten older. I use it in the shop of course but also for getting a lot of stuff up where it is more comfortable to work on. It works great for working on lawn mowers, pressure washers, motorcycles, electric motors too big to hump up on the bench etc. You will find a thousand uses for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, already have one.

They're not the ticket for lifting something from the ground up inside a trailer, with a reach of 3', though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Thanks, already have one.

They're not the ticket for lifting something from the ground up inside a trailer, with a reach of 3', though.
    I am a big fan of Hoyer lifts for stuff like this. But load capacity is in the 440 or 600 lb. range depending on the model. I use mine aa the time.

Here is a link to a PM thread on the topic

OT: Healthcare 'Patient Lifts" for shop use

13. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I solved the problem of requiring an adjustable table that allowed me to remove my 12" vise from the shaper by sliding it off the shaper table unto the adjustable height table by using a surplus birthing table. It is rigid and has lockable casters. Of course it is able to lift several hundred pounds. It did require a steel deck to replace the existing accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Before I hurt my back, I already had 2 Wesco peda-lifts and a Wesco manual counter balanced forklift. They still require force to use. Then I bought a Big Joe electric walk behind forklift. To me this is the answer.

nv5022977_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a similar problem after suffering a stroke a few years ago. here is a HF engine hoist I crudely modified to lift vises and indexers in/out of my vmc. used what I had lying around for a counterweight (an old transformer) and installed some better casters. works ok. just to get them in and out to a cart. At the time of construction $$ was short. there are better solutions but this was cheap and works. luckily I have made enough progress over the years that I can lift vises by hand. which is much faster, but I still use this to move my Erickson indexer. and pull out the riser table from the vmc. the pic has it folded for storage. when open it can reach about 2' beyond the front wheels.

lift2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lift.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vladymere gr View Post
    Northern Tool and Harbor Freight have lift carts though I think the Northern Tool products are generally a little better in quality.
    Here is a link to the Northern Tool selection, lift cart from Northern Tool + Equipment
    Vlad
    I have 2 lift carts from northern, they are flawless! I extended one with a piano hinge and a piece of 1/4" 7075 sheet. it extends the table 18" to roll my 20" chuck into the Miltronics 20" cnc lathe.