What's new
What's new

Sine Vise For Milling

Anhur

Plastic
Hey All, I have a new Haas TM1P vertical mill and a need to hold some flat 304 stainless parts at a 45° angle to mill a 90° slot in the sides. Last time I did this I mounted a small vise inside of my Kurt vise at the 45° and used that, but I was just using some small angle blocks to set the small vise angle, and I feel like there was some precision that was lost in the process. I also had an issue getting the small vise to tram in as it would change some as I tightened it in the large vise. I was looking around for a better solution and came across these cheap sine vises on everyone's favorite auction website. My question is if I buy one of these sine vises and use it in my Kurt vise would I have better control over the precision of the setup? Also are these types of vises even any good to mill out of? I have never used one, and have never actually held one. It looks like the top part with the jaws just rests on the bottom part and the piviot. It seems like in milling with any side load it would not have much rigidity. I like the idea of using gauge blocks to determine the angle exactly, but I don't want to end up with a setup that is not rigid enough to use in a mill.

Thanks

Hey All, I have a new Haas TM1P vertical mill and a need to hold some flat 304 stainless parts at a 45° angle to mill a 90° slot in the sides. Last time I did this I mounted a small vise inside of my Kurt vise at the 45° and used that, but I was just using some small angle blocks to set the small vise angle, and I feel like there was some precision that was lost in the process. I also had an issue getting the small vise to tram in as it would change some as I tightened it in the large vise. I was looking around for a better solution and came across these cheap sine vises on everyone's favorite auction website. My question is if I buy one of these sine vises and use it in my Kurt vise would I have better control over the precision of the setup? Also are these types of vises even any good to mill out of? I have never used one, and have never actually held one. It looks like the top part with the jaws just rests on the bottom part and the piviot. It seems like in milling with any side load it would not have much rigidity. I like the idea of using gauge blocks to determine the angle exactly, but I don't want to end up with a setup that is not rigid enough to use in a mill.

Thanks

How about this;

KTR35%20Vise_9794%20web.jpg

KTR35 Tool Room Vise | KTR35 Sine Vise

A little pricey, but I would not hesitate to do any milling with it.....

Kevin

Would you be better of with a angled fixture? Or do your angles change frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would you be better of with a angled fixture? Or do your angles change frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could make an angle fixture, but I have only run these parts twice. I guess the appeal of a tilting vise was the ability to change angles easily for future jobs.

Last edited:
Suburban also has a, no two lines of sine products.

SineSet TOOLS by Suburban Tool, Inc.

Their SineSet line makes alignment of two items fast and easy so something like a compound angle is easy to set up.

I do not have any of them, but I suspect that they are top notch - with prices to match.

I have a 3" Atco sine vise similar to this: SINE VISES by Suburban Tool, Inc.

Use it for milling all the time. I don't trust the single locking strap to hold the movable part down so I clamp it with one of those Quick Grip clamps.

Looks kinda hokey but works great.

ps: something with a locking strap like this would be better, I might even make some for mine...

3" SCREWLESS SINE TYPE PRECISION ANGULAR GRINDING MACHINE VICE ATOZ VISE | eBay

I have a 3" Atco sine vise similar to this: SINE VISES by Suburban Tool, Inc.

Use it for milling all the time. I don't trust the single locking strap to hold the movable part down so I clamp it with one of those Quick Grip clamps.

Looks kinda hokey but works great.

I have a tilting vise, the type you would see used on a drill press, I have been thinking about converting it into a sine vice by simply adding a V groove for another pin to be installed exactly 5" from the pivot pin (the pivot pin would need to be reamed so a closer fitting pin could be installed)

But what I'm thinking is ditch the side lock adjustable sheet metal clamps, and install a bolt inboard of the gauge block pin, the bolt would thread into a captive cylinder installed in the base, allowing you to tighten the bolt from any angle and put the gauge block under compression.. even a 10-32 cap screw would be good for 1000 pounds. only downside is you would need to keep a selection of screws with the vise because a 1/2" cylinder will only allow for up to 3/8" travel on a 10-32 screw before losing thread engagement or bottoming out. Other problem is applying a clamp load on the 1/2" pin contacting the gauge blocks, but maybe that isn't a problem.

The site you linked to mentions "Dual 0.200" minute steps built into the gage roll allow setting small angles with standard gage blocks." and the way i interpret that is there is two flats ground in the rod, perhaps those flats are necessary if you intend to squeeze the gauge blocks with say, 1000 pounds force.

Back