What's new
What's new

Sleeving a bearing bore question - bore size after pressing sleevein........

markz528

Hot Rolled
I am restoring a 1965 Leece Neville cop car alternator. I scored a new drive end end bell that I need to use but it uses a larger 6206 bearing versus the 6304 bearing that I need to use. My plan is to sleeve the bore of the end bell to fit the correct bearing. The end bell is aluminum and I will use a steel sleeve.

I really would prefer to pre-machine the bushing/sleeve to size so that I don’t have to bore it after install. My question is will I be able to get away with this or will I have bore the sleeve to size after I install it?

I assume that max temperature rise will be 100 degrees F. The aluminum bore is around 2.5 inches diameter. At 100 deg and 2.5 inches, the aluminum bore should grow around 0.0015” diameter more than the steel sleeve. So my target press fit of the sleeve is 0.0020” to 0.0025”. The target bore of the sleeve for the 6304 bearing is 2.0472” – 2.0480”. The bushing/sleeve wall will be around 0.200” thick.

I assume that the sleeve should have reasonable form after I press it in. But the question how will the sleeve bore diameter change after I press it in? Can I get away with this or do I need to suck it up and plan on boring it after I press the sleeve in?

I have bored and bushed many holes for a ultimate bearing install and would advise you to push in a sleeve, then when the dust settles bore it to a perfect fit for your bearing. It's extra work but it's the proper way to get the proper results.

Stuart

You should press the sleeve in and then bore to size. I have done endbells on electric motors on the regular and it won't turn out correct if you try and do it the way you are thinking (believe me i have tried). When i do the steel or cast iron sleeves in an aluminum endbell i have always used loctite 609 just a extra little help.

I am restoring a 1965 Leece Neville cop car alternator. I scored a new drive end end bell that I need to use but it uses a larger 6206 bearing versus the 6304 bearing that I need to use. My plan is to sleeve the bore of the end bell to fit the correct bearing. The end bell is aluminum and I will use a steel sleeve.

I really would prefer to pre-machine the bushing/sleeve to size so that I don’t have to bore it after install. My question is will I be able to get away with this or will I have bore the sleeve to size after I install it?

I assume that max temperature rise will be 100 degrees F. The aluminum bore is around 2.5 inches diameter. At 100 deg and 2.5 inches, the aluminum bore should grow around 0.0015” diameter more than the steel sleeve. So my target press fit of the sleeve is 0.0020” to 0.0025”. The target bore of the sleeve for the 6304 bearing is 2.0472” – 2.0480”. The bushing/sleeve wall will be around 0.200” thick.

I assume that the sleeve should have reasonable form after I press it in. But the question how will the sleeve bore diameter change after I press it in? Can I get away with this or do I need to suck it up and plan on boring it after I press the sleeve in?

I agree with JO ,sleeve the bearing ,and further ,make the sleeve a light pushon fit and secure with loctite ...otherwise you will reduce the internal clearance ,maybe disasterously....Make the sleeve with a slight lip to coincide with the radiused edge of the bearing to retain it......Ive tried boring alternator housings ,it doesnt end well ...the surface of the moulding seems to have much greater mechanical properties than the inner metal.....This is another way of saying they are cr*p

Back