What's new
What's new

Slicing vulcanized hockey pucks (duro 90) into coasters

Marfeetus

Plastic
Hello!

I am looking for some advice. I need to slice 1/16” to 1/32” thick disks out of a 1” thick by 3” diameter vulcanized rubber hockey puck (Duro 90). I have planned a mandolin of sorts where the puck is stationary and the blade moves with my hand.

Do you have any idea how easily to slice hard, tough rubber from this shape?

Cheers!

- Rob Raincock
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Raincock @ualberta.ca

I haven't attempted this but I have heard of it for years..freeze the hockey puck stone solid then saw your thin sections off with a band saw. Another WAG..freeze them solid, take them to the deli and run them through their meat slicer.

Stuart

The very idea of hand slicing 90 durometer hockey pucks on a mandoline makes my mind boggle. Not going to happen. The principle might work if you adapted a log splitter or something like that, but not by hand power!

I reckon I'd epoxy the puck to a backing board, stick a nice new blade on my wood cutting band saw, and slice it against the fence.

I cut a rubber bowling ball in half that way - safely and easily.

Not really sure you could blame the brake dust supplier, but you sure could blame the company that processed it into a form that required further machining. Had just previously watched a youtube of turning a "old" bowling ball into a nice bowel, but even then, he commented on the weird funky middle bit, guess i know why now! Think i will pass on that idea!

I dunno, never tried it lol

Yeah, rubber doesn't really melt like plastics do. When it's molded, the gummy base elastomer forms tons of cross-links and fundamentally changes its chemical structure, never to return to how it once was. Heat aging breaks those cross-links over time and there isn't really a way to put them back, it's a one-time deal.

It happens after some fire Dept drills too lol...dragging charged lines around in a 1200°f simulator that's pitch black can wear ya out fairly quick lolol

Back