What's new
What's new

Sliding Stainless surfaces for PVC?

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Hey everyone. Ive got a PVC injection mold to rebuild. The original mold builder didn't do it right and the sliding components are all made from the same 420ss. We have not been able to get it to stop galling. I'm currently trying to figure out the best course of action to replace some of the parts with a different material. This is a high production mold that doesnt need to be out for PM alot.

For simplification, imagine a hamburger. The bread is fixed in place, and the meat slides in the middle. So I think just changing the material on the meat, will solve my issue. We also didn't get a very good heat treat on the parts (thanks to braddock in tampa for that one) so in fact one of the parts is annealed. (definitely not helping)

At this point, I'm thinking about making the two pieces of bread out of 440 and the inner meat out of S60V. Being that S60V is a 440 derivative is that a bad idea? I Could also use 420 to remake the damaged parts, but again, I question the material dissimilarity. Typically for slides, gibbs, heel blocks etc I would use 2 completely different materials and a minimum 4 point Rockwell spread. Stainless on stainless has me concerned.

I could also use H13, and its higher chromium content might help it live with the PVC corrosion, but I don't know how long or how well that will work either.

We also tried armaloy coating after it was repaired last time. Did not help.

What do you guys think?

Back