What's new
What's new

Slitting Saw finish?

jools

Aluminum
Hi All

I'm thinking of investing in a slitting saw. This will allow me to cut to size in one operation rather than flipping a part and re indicating etc

Having never used one before I would like to know what the finish is like? Is it a finished finish or is it a rough finish that still has to be machined?

If anyone has any pics I would be eternally grateful :)

Jools

Always consider a finish cut. Main reasons are: cutter is usually off center with arbor and a possible wobble in height. Both will be seen on surface which may be negligible, but generally not a finish cut.

Saws can work well, as long as you use a quality saw, a concentric and stiff arbor, and use a machine that's solid, with a good mate to the arbor. Proper chip loads, speed, and coolant flushing are all needed for a good result.

Almost always, carbide will give better results than HSS, except in the pocketbook.

The saw shouldn't be ridiculous on the diameter to thickness ratio (like under 20 to 1), but larger values can work with care. Ultimately you'll have to test and see if your setup will give you the results you're seeking.

Not pictures but a short video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUeo8UaNSYM
The parts had to have a good finish and close tolerance length plus had to be very square on the end. Part of the secret here was supporting both the stock and the cut of piece with a slot through the hardened vice jaws for the cutter. For the right parts a saw can be the answer. We cut mill runs of this Hypo tubing in diameters from .020 to .156 inches. A quich debur of the hole on each end and an hour in the tumbler to give a slight corner radius was all that was needed to finish these. For more info on cutting off lathe parts look up Watco or "Sawlutions".

Back