What's new
What's new

slitting saw going the wrong way

dian

Titanium
i just cut a slot in crs 20 mm long and 20 mm deep with a 4 mm hss saw. little horizontal sounded good, chips looked good. then the nut unscrewed and i realized i was running the saw the wrong way. when i changed direction the chips looked about the same. what are all those fancy angles for on the cutters? (maybe there is some magic to a swiss alesa saw?)

edit: to be clear, the saw rotated the wrong way.

"fancy angles" have little to do with the "wrong way" in this case (which I'm guessing is feed direction, not tool rotation), general construction of the machine and the condition it is in will have an effect if the saw cut in climb or conventional way, but if it performed equally in both directions, then I'd say the machine is in decent condition :)

Tool rotation, jz79. "then the nut unscrewed".

dian, I've no idea. I would have expected a huge squealing, a lot of feed pressure, way too much heat, and not a whole lot of chips. You can remove metal with a rock, so I can see where teeth running backwards might remove some metal, but I'd not expect normal looking chips.

hmm, must have missed the nut coming loose part the first time I red this, or he added that later in edit, because I recall only "normal chips in the wrong direction", which is impossible in CRS with a slitting saw teeth running backwards, hence I concluded it was about feed direction - that would be the only way to get chips looking the same way while doing something "backwards"

Back