What's new
What's new

Small anodizing jobs

Steve Manthey

Plastic
Hi- I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where a home hobbyist could get anodizing done reasonably. It seems everywhere I found so far has big minimum qty. requirements.
Thanks,
Steve

Probably nowhere. Everywhere is going to have a minimum. If you really want to do a few parts here and there, just do it yourself. It's not that hard to do a few parts at a time by yourself and not that expensive. There's plenty of tutorials online. Your only other option might be to just be able to go to a local place and ask them if they can add to batches they are already doing, but it would most likely have to be black or clear or something they run literally every day.

I made some aluminum replacement parts for drill grinders in 2006 The original aluminum parts were hard anodized. I had about 12 small parts that might fit in a quart container and paid a local shop their minimum $50. You could not tell them from the originals except where I designed aluminum knobs to replace the old plastic ones that are usually broken.

The anodizing service I used has changed owners, name and size, but here is their website if you want to see what their minimum charge is these days:
About American Anodizing - Fort Wayne, Indiana

Larry

TDR Knob 5.jpg TDR Knob 4.jpg

Hi- I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where a home hobbyist could get anodizing done reasonably. It seems everywhere I found so far has big minimum qty. requirements.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
I used to need to anodize small lots, and purchased a full kit with DC power supply from Caswell. This worked great and I Highly recommend them.

However, our volume has grown and I now use Hillock Anodize in Philadelphia.

If you want to purchase a DC power supply I can sell you the one I purchased from Caswell, it works great but I do not need it now. Just shoot me a PM and I can give you a good deal as it is sitting unused.

I learned quite a bit about it, so I can give you a few pointers if you want to do it yourself. Otherwise I recommend Hillock and they currently have min lot charge of about $100 (give or take a bit, this might change in the new year)

Once you run some lots yourself, you will realize it makes sense for them to charge a min lot charge.
Thanks - Steve

Back