What's new
What's new

Small diameter 4140 firearms stock

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I am always finding it difficult to get anything under .375-.500 round stock.

I got 16 different firearms parts to quote and they dont have any surface finish requirements. I was thinking of machining bigger stock down due to grinding having to remove a lot of material would be more expensive.

EMJ has .1875 but the pins I need to make are .067-.094-.125 O.D.

A few others are small too. Under .100 O.D.

Anyone in the firearms industry have a line on some of this material?

Am I just stuck with what EMJ has?

Mcmaster has it in 1/8" :cheers:
McMaster-Carr
Look for: Tight-Tolerance Multipurpose 4140 Alloy Steel Rods (link wouldnt go straight there)

Thanks. I know they (Mcmaster) are always more expensive but if I have to grind or machine a lot more material away it can bring the cost way up anyway.

I am pretty sure I can live with .125 stock. Sometimes its hard to find .156 as well. If I have to start with .187-.250 it can get expensive. I am sure the firearms industry has a large demand for this stuff. I am leaning on calling Smith and Wesson or another one of my ITAR swiss shops for advice. These guys are very nice to me and have never had a problem sharing information. They even asked me if they could forward my info to the head of their mill dept. to consult with them from time to time. Of course I said yes. I will look at anything and discuss anything with anyone if I can learn from it and use this info at a later date for my own benefit. (Without breaking any NDA's Ethics agreements of course)

Well, the obvious factor here is quantity. If you ask a manufacturer (especially S&W) they will probably be ordering in mill run quantities, tons of each size. Doubt the mill would sell you, say, 10 lengths but it might be worth a try.

Have you tried to special order through EMJ or another supplier?

Well, the obvious factor here is quantity. If you ask a manufacturer (especially S&W) they will probably be ordering in mill run quantities, tons of each size. Doubt the mill would sell you, say, 10 lengths but it might be worth a try.

Have you tried to special order through EMJ or another supplier?

All my regular suppliers are at Smith and Wesson weekly. Any special orders from my regular suppliers are mill runs. EMJ mostly pulls from the Chicago warehouse and only lists 3/16 round.

I know many people who strictly do firearms work dont order enough for mill runs.

The .125 from mcmaster is the smallest I have seen yet. I know its not cheap.

Try Boston Centerless?

They are the most expensive of them all. I used to use them 25 years ago for material finishes. I had them quote me a job 6 months ago. It took 6 weeks to get me a quote back and another 6 weeks to deliver on said quote. Price was $500 for material and $1500 for grinding.

I got another grinding shop to charge me $400 for grinding and I got material for $400. Done in 1 week.

It was like BC doubled their prices overnight 15 years ago. I did have a discussion about them with another rep last week and he said it is still owned by the same family. I was under the impression they sold the company.

Back