What's new
What's new

Help identifying spring loaded whatsit

leeko

Stainless
Hi,

Can anyone help identify this? The shank is 3/8", the tip is spring-loaded and diameter is .084". The shank says "R921TN STI" which google couldn't find for me.

I'm planning to add a diamond point and use as a drag engraver, but I have a few of them and curious what it's originally for. It's well made, with no radial slop.

Thanks

Lee
3a659210daa791175c1fde99e81895eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I looked that up - I don't think so, but could be wrong. there's no punch/release mechanism, it's just a spring inside

Not that either, though it could easily be modified to that purpose (thanks for putting that idea in my brain!)

The tips on these are rounded, and they're much more nicely made than any tap guide I've used

Lee

EDIT: I should also mention that the tips for these come wax-sealed, so I assume they're for some precision purpose...

...The tips on these are rounded, and they're much more nicely made than any tap guide I've used
Lee
EDIT: I should also mention that the tips for these come wax-sealed, so I assume they're for some precision purpose...

Interesting item. Agree that it is not a pump center for a tap. The tip of the springrod: is it "rounded" as in domed or just round in X-section with a step for precision insertion into a hole? How much in/out excursion is there? Does it apply "a lot" of pressure or only a little? Is the feature at the butt-end of the shank a screw for spring retention? If the item is used, is a wear pattern evident anywhere (like 3-jaw clamping marks on the shank barrel)?

-Marty-

Could it be a punch with a built in stripper? To knock the plug out after the hole is punched? How is the shoulder on the second diameter from the end? Is it sharp edged? Can't tell on my phone. That is a conundrum.

It's domed
There's about a 1cm of excursion before the spring pressure gets too much for my finger, it's a reasonable strong spring
Yes the screw at the end holds the spring place

Some additional pictures, this is a second one I have taken apart.

Nothing seems sharp on it

No specific wear pattern I can tell. There's some scuffs on this one, but it doesn't look to have been gripped in a chuck

94cd0bbdc1283ef4540c817f37585f57.jpg
b602f7d330f3e1815c130ce0f5d892da.jpg

Sure looks like some sort of forming tool/punch combo to me. Maybe a small forming die for the bottom of a recess? Perhaps the pin is an alignment/guide pin.

Well made, no clue in STI, precision clamping element for some fabrication but definately a useful junk box component for tube clamp, follower etc, initially I thought it off a limit switch thing, electrical pick up perhaps
Mark

99.9% sure it's an anvil from a tubular rivet or grommet machine. The center pin is for aligning pre-punched work and helps keep the grommet/rivet lined up as the machine drives it down. The pin is made to retract until the rivet hits the curved "dish" around the pin which forms the end of the rivet. The "STI" might indicate the manufacturer but it doesn't ring a bell. A piece that "finished" strikes me as one of the Italian machine manufacturers.

The second one may be from a Stimpson machine, currently owned/serviced by Siska in New Jersey. Email them and they may can probably identify which machine and fastener system they go to.

Home

Back