What's new
What's new

Small diameter strap wrench for honing bushings

RJT

Titanium
Need to hold a 9/16 diameter headless bushing 1/2 long for honing (150 pcs). I've seen some kind of miniature strap like wrench somewhere in the past (Leather?) but no luck with google or searching the forum. Something home made? What do you use?

I would make something that I have always called a lemon squeezer. I'm not sure that is the right name for it. Drill and ream the hole at the very end of a bar for the 9/16". Now round over that end so there is not much metal left around the hole. Make a saw cut up from the opposite end down the middle. put the bushing in and squeeze the two halves together. Some micrometer wrenches are made like this.

Andy

Here is a link to a Lufkin mike wrench made out of spring steel similar to what I was try to write. The Machinist tweezers that were recently being sold on PM are more along the lines I was thinking but the working tweezer end would be the handle / part you squeeze.

Error Page | eBay

Andy

I would make something that I have always called a lemon squeezer. I'm not sure that is the right name for it. Drill and ream the hole at the very end of a bar for the 9/16". Now round over that end so there is not much metal left around the hole. Make a saw cut up from the opposite end down the middle. put the bushing in and squeeze the two halves together. Some micrometer wrenches are made like this.

Andy

You can also make them from wood for delicate parts, ………..hard wood like oak / ash / maple etc etc

Be careful what you use or you may end up with out of round parts especially if they are thin wall. The Sunnen strap wrench is designed for thin wall parts and works very well.

Not for thin walled parts, but I have found that Kant Twist clamps in various sizes work very well for holding parts in the hone. Let the screw portion sit on the work rest, use the clamp throat around the part like a bear hug and stroke away.

Back