What's new
What's new

Small Floor Type Mill?

Archer120x

Cast Iron
Can anyone suggest floor type mills that aren't huge? It would be nice to hold large awkward parts stationary, while the head and column do all the movement. I would like 120" in the X and maybe 60" in the Y. The closest thing I have found online is an old Landis 3-1/2".

Can anyone suggest floor type mills that aren't huge? It would be nice to hold large awkward parts stationary, while the head and column do all the movement. I would like 120" in the X and maybe 60" in the Y. The closest thing I have found online is an old Landis 3-1/2".

If a mill with 5' of travel in y and 10 in x is a small mill I'd like to know what you consider to be a large mill.

I missed the "floor mill" part in the first post. When I saw it I was thinking more like a Bridgeport than a machine that is part of the building. In those machines 5X10 feet probably would be pretty small.

DeVlieg made 120" mills. If you don't need a tailstock, its the least floor space of any boring mill and better accuracy when new.

An aquaintance of mine programs at a place that has huge machines. I'll ask him what they have in that size range the next time I see him.

Rockford made a small portal mill with adjustable rail the CM series they had tables ranging from 36x96 to 60x 120. Up to 4 heads on them, 30 hp spindles. The bigger Rockfords RM series ranged from (2)72x 144 tables with 48 fto travel to 9 ftx 32 ft tables. They had 50 hp heads.
The green machine is a 1937 Ingersoll in use almost every day in a steel mill near Pittsburgh. The blue Rockford is a 1968 model in a steel service center in Houston.

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_105656.jpg
    IMG_20190328_105656.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20181004_162630.jpg
    IMG_20181004_162630.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 114
60" of Y is getting closer to "big" than 120" of X.

All the same, there are a lot of European mills that might suit you.

Anayak
Zayer
Scharmann
Correa
FPT

Can you live with a gantry mill ? We found a couple of Forest-Line models that were about that size in the US. CNC tho, and commonly five axis. Made in Canada, I think the company is still there. Part of Fives now ?

No, you have it backwards. "Floor type" means the table is flush with the floor. A "table type" sits on the floor.

You are correct sir. my bad.

"floor type" in that the "table" is a cast in concrete slotted floor plate.

Part does not move at all.

Back