Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    and where are the Starrett ones made ? Starrett like most companies makes stuff in different countries i believe.
    I'm talking about old used USA made sets. Just because the cheap import sets are made in China doesn't make them garbage. The fact that they're garbage makes them garbage.

-Tim

2. Likes HuFlungDung liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So many used USA made sets out there for sale I would only buy USA or made in Japan. Check out LOST CREEK MACHINE in ILL. Matt is a great guy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    Tell you what, Rustypidgeon, you PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a 1/8-1/2 set of the Chinese garbage. I don't know why I haven't thrown it away yet, but you can have it if you want it. I'll pay the postage too!
    I'm 64 days into my new career as a machinist and if he doesn't take you up on your offer I'll gladly pay for the postage Gordon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the mitutoyo small hole gage set. I love my mitutoyo tools in general but I don't like that set much. I would buy a quality split ball type over the formed end mitutoyo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, Farmer Phil.
    No response from Rustypigeon. He likely doesn't want them, and with good reason. He needs to be pretty accurate when measuring valve guides.

You send me your address and I'll send you the tools. If nothing else, they do have very nicely made knurled handles which might be useful in another application. They are in like-new condition (or better than new because I've smoothed and polished the edges a bit), but you'll still have trouble consistently measuring better than .001 - .002".

Gordon

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, Farmer Phil.
    No response from Rustypigeon. He likely doesn't want them, and with good reason. He needs to be pretty accurate when measuring valve guides.

You send me your address and I'll send you the tools. If nothing else, they do have very nicely made knurled handles which might be useful in another application. They are in like-new condition (or better than new because I've smoothed and polished the edges a bit), but you'll still have trouble consistently measuring better than .001 - .002".

Gordon
    Thanks Gordon! I sent you a message.

I'm a former diesel mechanic and the feel of a good tool is hard to beat but I'm taking my time growing my machinist tool collection so I'll take free cheap stuff to get me through until I can replace with Starrett.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got it, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are serious about valve guide work the a dial bore gauge is the only tool worth considering.Valve guides wear to an hour glass profile in cross section or something similar.There are some relatively cheap ones out there.If the needle moves and dosn't stick don't matter who makes it or for that matter how accurate it is.The first thing you need to know quickly is if the guide is usable or not,weather the needle moves,if it dosn't then you can be sure it is straight and measure with split gauges or pins to whatever degree you want.It is very hard to measure a worn guide with a fixed gauge because it depends where you put the guage.Granted a high end accurate bore gauge saves follow up measurment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pins are comodity items

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    If I walked into your shop and saw Chinese pin gauges I would walk out in a hurry.
    I think you would wear out a lot of shoes.Many (good) shops will have a high quality set in the inspection room and cheapo sets out in the shop that is used constantly even for such things as checking a ruf drilled hole size.I worked for a short time in a small maintanainance shop and we would not have convinced the money people to buy a (good) set.Its the same thing for 5c collets. Many shops have only a limited set of collets because the (good) ones cost to much. I would rather have a lower quality set of pins or collets than none at all. Many times this is the choise that you have. Edwin Dirnbeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pins are comodity items

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    If I walked into your shop and saw Chinese pin gauges I would walk out in a hurry.
    Come down from your ivory tower.I think you would wear out a lot of shoes.Many (good) shops will have a high quality set in the inspection room and cheapo sets out in the shop that is used constantly even for such things as checking a ruf drilled hole size.I worked for a short time in a small maintanainance shop and we would not have convinced the money people to buy a (good) set.Edwin Dirnbeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, Farmer Phil.

Gordon
    Thanks for the offer, sorry for the delay in my response. I actually bought a used set on ebay, made in USA shortly after reading the responses here. They arrived yesterday and function smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by edwin dirnbeck View Post
    Come down from your ivory tower.I think you would wear out a lot of shoes.Many (good) shops will have a high quality set in the inspection room and cheapo sets out in the shop that is used constantly even for such things as checking a ruf drilled hole size.I worked for a short time in a small maintanainance shop and we would not have convinced the money people to buy a (good) set.Edwin Dirnbeck
    Actually I do not get out much anymore so I see very few other shops. I did misread the original OPs comment and thought he was looking at a $20.00 set of pins like .061 through .250. If such a thing does exist I would not trust them (Too stinking cheap to be any good at that price).

I do have a few Chinese tools, I bought a set of Irwin tap drivers made in China to replace the Morse 1/2 inch drive unit I use out on the ranch. the Morse one had been stolen and I could find no other US made unit that could be driven with a mechanics ratchet. The Irwin adapters are quite nice and well finished. I have not used them yet as the stolen tool was recovered.
    tapdrivers.jpg
    I am kind of weird because I will pay several times as much to buy clothes made in central America (they use American cotton) or the US as my neighbors grow cotton and I like to see my money support my neighbors and not someone in China.
    That is just me though, it is not against my religion to buy something Chinese if it is quality and not available here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As noted, cheap small hole gages are a crap shoot.
    Many of them are 'sticky' to adjust, while the quality names are almost always smooth.
    They should work OK for valve guide work unless it is full time. Then a dial gage would be the ticket.
    Small hole gages can wear out, especially in abrasive environment. They can get flattened out.
    Pin gages would not provide the ability to detect out of round, or taper, or bell-mouth as easily as small hole gages, but dial gages would make all that even easier.