What's new
What's new

Clutch/Brake issues & running faster in reverse

WerkBerg

Plastic
Hello,

I am having a hard time setting up the whole clutch- (Ortlinghaus), brakeband-, and lever-mechanics.

It's a 1962 Martin DLZ 502 industrial lathe which I got about three weeks ago. I noticed that there was no oil in it and I am pretty sure, the seller has been using it dry. I can't make out any damaged parts though and it has been running nicely after I gave her some new oil. I wanted to use the first filling mainly for flushing. I had a lot of iso vg 150 oil so I used it for that purpose. It's way too viscous, I know.
Today I drained it and put in some iso vg 32.

The two levers for forward, neutral and reverse were quite loose and the left/main lever had a broken spring, which I replaced. Since then, they snap to neutral quite crisply. But I noticed that the brake doesn't really work too good.

The nut for adjusting the brakeband is quite sensitive and if I turn it one mm too much, I can't engage forward anymore. Reverse works most of the time even then. And: When I use the lever at the apron to put it in reverse, it touches the feed shaft.
On the backside of the machine there is no play in the lever/clutch mechanism.

I don't know how to set up the braking mechanism or what the correct procedure looks like. Same goes for the clutch.

Also I noticed that the machine runs way faster in reverse than forward... Feel like that's a really odd thing ;)

Maybe you folks have some pointers for me. I don't want to ruin my clutch or cause any other harm.

Many thanks ;)

1.jpgGetriebe.jpgGetriebe2.jpgGetriebe3.jpg2019-11-16 17.51.03.jpg

If it runs faster in reverse you probably have a slipping forward clutch. Is this an over center clutch, one that snaps in?

Ed.

Hello,

I am having a hard time setting up the whole clutch- (Ortlinghaus), brakeband-, and lever-mechanics.

It's a 1962 Martin DLZ 502 industrial lathe which I got about three weeks ago. I noticed that there was no oil in it and I am pretty sure, the seller has been using it dry. I can't make out any damaged parts though and it has been running nicely after I gave her some new oil. I wanted to use the first filling mainly for flushing. I had a lot of iso vg 150 oil so I used it for that purpose. It's way too viscous, I know.
Today I drained it and put in some iso vg 32.

The two levers for forward, neutral and reverse were quite loose and the left/main lever had a broken spring, which I replaced. Since then, they snap to neutral quite crisply. But I noticed that the brake doesn't really work too good.

The nut for adjusting the brakeband is quite sensitive and if I turn it one mm too much, I can't engage forward anymore. Reverse works most of the time even then. And: When I use the lever at the apron to put it in reverse, it touches the feed shaft.
On the backside of the machine there is no play in the lever/clutch mechanism.

I don't know how to set up the braking mechanism or what the correct procedure looks like. Same goes for the clutch.

Also I noticed that the machine runs way faster in reverse than forward... Feel like that's a really odd thing ;)

Maybe you folks have some pointers for me. I don't want to ruin my clutch or cause any other harm.

Many thanks ;)

View attachment 271257View attachment 271254View attachment 271255View attachment 271256View attachment 271258

Good lathes. There are other PM threads on them - and not only PM - that you can find with a Go Ogle search.

Somebody in Germany just sold an OEM manual mid-November, so they "exist".

A manual doesn't have to be in English. Any technical stuff is largely fotos, parts lists, numbers in a table, mm specs in a paragraph, lube names and viscosity specs, so the language isn't really a problem as it might be in poetry, banking, sex or similar politics.

Machine-tools as do much the same work have their own "built in" logic, regardless of national origin.

Except the French ones. But that ain't just machine-tools, so...

:)

If it runs faster in reverse you probably have a slipping forward clutch. Is this an over center clutch, one that snaps in?

Ed.

Looking at the photos I can only see one clutch. Having said that the blurb in the Tony's lathes thread on " Martin " lathes mentions two clutches. Maybe one is hidden by that brake band you can see. It's not uncommon for the forward clutch to be weaker than the reverse on an old lathe. It could well be the forward clutch needs adjusting up.

Last time I needed to speak to " Ortlinghaus " they still provided spares for pretty old clutches.

Regards Tyrone.

Last time I needed to speak to " Ortlinghaus " they still provided spares for pretty old clutches.

Yup. Same across the pond.

Folks who made clutches, brakes, gearboxes, motors and such tend to have more than just one customer and serve more than just the machine-tool industry- much the same as makers of bolts and warshers.

Basic job their products do might not change a wit in a hundred years.

They routinely outlive their customers and move-on to new ones.

New friction facings or the like should not be a problem, nor even terribly costly - present inflated "value" - or lack, thereof - of money considered, of course

Picture #4 shows your clutches up close. Look for quick release tabs to push or set screw to loosen to rotate clutch adjustment nut.

No idea about the Martin, but my 1924 Lodge and Shipley 16" has a forward-reverse clutch lever, and the reverse runs a good bit faster than the forward. I believe that for the L&S at least, that was by design

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back