What's new
What's new

Haimer 3D Probe Alternatives

Sparky961

Cast Iron
Anyone who's used one of these can attest to how much quicker it is setting up work in a CNC mill. The extra step of adding/subtracting the radius when using an edge finder or touching off with another tool is slow and error prone.

But Haimer probes are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain if you break more than a few probe tips a year. I don't need convinced of the value. I'm just interested to know if there are any alternatives that provide the same ability to position machine "0" at the part edge without having to consider radius offsets.

Not as easy to calibrate, but does work... Just not Haimer quality. Check KBC tools - search for 3d indicator. I tried to post a link, but got several database errors.

I have both the KBC and a few Haimers. I use the KBC tool as my "beater". It gets use and works fine. It may very well be capable of the same precision as the Haimer, but I can't really say. I just don't use it that way.

BTW, the KBC model appears to be a copy of a Haff & Schneider design rather than a Haimer. The resolution of the KBC tool is just fine - I simply have not tracked how repeatable it is on center. The reason is that I use it mostly in R8 mills. To be accurate, it needs to be set up in a particular tool holder and that holder needs to be oriented in use as it was in calibration.

Anyone who's used one of these can attest to how much quicker it is setting up work in a CNC mill. The extra step of adding/subtracting the radius when using an edge finder or touching off with another tool is slow and error prone.

But Haimer probes are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain if you break more than a few probe tips a year. I don't need convinced of the value. I'm just interested to know if there are any alternatives that provide the same ability to position machine "0" at the part edge without having to consider radius offsets.

We are talking about adding and subtracting the number "1" correct? :nutter:

After my Haimer leaked while in the Robodrill turret, I looked into Tschorn. Emailed them, got a reply of my technical questions from mr Tschorn himself. I also got to speak to the tech VP at Haimer, who was a good dude and helpful, but the simple fact is that 3D tasters are a minor line of business for Hamier USA and they have almost no support for them in the US. This is what Tschorn does, and they have far better support (and are hungry to outdo Haimer).

The Tschorn SavePlus model is on sale for $210 on Amazon. It isn't waterproof, but given the leaky Haimers I've seen, I don't consider any of these things really waterproof. Having now run both the Haimer and the Tschorn, the Tschorn is slightly nicer, but they both work equally well... but at the $210 price, the Tschorn is a total no-brainer:

TSCHORN 3D-Tester SAVEplus - Model: 163B5I: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Back